Rear axel noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2010 Ford Expedition 2wd with 237,210 miles i change the rear differential fluid every 2 yrs and add the
Genuine Ford Fluid Friction Modifier. I wanted to know if someone can point me in the right direction to fix this noise coming from the rear drive axel/rear differential on the driver side. If I put the truck in rear and with lite acceleration is a cracking noise. I have uploaded a video to see and hear the noise.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The creaking doesn't sound like any differential noise. Suspension maybe. Bushings?

ANd why are you using friction modifier?

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was my first thought that it was worn out rear suspension parts too. When I bought the truck the dealership always add a friction modifier to the differential fluid change and said it wouldn't hurt to add it. Once the warranty was up I still add a bottle every 2 yrs when I changed the fluid.

I just ordered all new rear suspension parts from Rockauto.com and should be here this Tuesday. I will be taking it tomorrow to have it checked out by a local differential shop to make sure. I did lift the rear end up on jack stands and still had the same sound coming from the driver side.