Rear axle bent lower shock mount Driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So upon much frustration of trying to get my lower shock absorber removed, i realized the reason the lower bolt will not come out is because the lower mount is bent ever so slightly so the bolt it self is bent. Anyone run into this issue because i am slightly frustrated. I am thinking drilling the bolt out is going to be the only way to get the shock removed but if the lower is bent the upper must be bent as well. That bolt has next to no access to it. Any ideas here would be helpful. I am gonna throw my truck back together to fight this battle another day but when i return the bolts must die. Another thing is once the bolt is out the lower mount still will be bent so anyone know of a way to correct the alignment of it? I am thinking torch and hammer but someone stop me if this is a poor choice.

B

bedrck46

The drivers side is a complete PITA to remove. I just did mine this past week.

What I would suggest is to use either a Reciprocating Saw or a grinder with a cut off blade. I have attached a pic to show where to make cuts. First cut is shown the next cut you would want to be on the inside of the bracket.

To remove the upper bolt on the drivers side is the worst to remove. The best thing to do would be to lower the spare and get it out of the way this will give you room to reach the upper bolt. You need a 18mm socket and some extensions. You do not need to hold the nut as it is mounted with a retaining clip so it wont turn. After that look at the upper bracket to make sure the side with the nut is not bent in. Mine was and I was able to straighten it by using vise grips and bending it back into place. later on I was able to use many extensions totaling either 54 or 64 inches and go from the passenger side above the frame rail and with the help of a friend place the extensions all the way across to reach the bolt on the drivers side. You can also do this to reach from the drivers side to the upper bolt on the passenger side. With all the extensions I used it does get a little flimsily but it is do-able. I did think it I were to take all of that and slide it into a length of PVC pipe it would be somewhat easier.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of blade did you use to cut the shock, i was thinking about cutting up the shock as a last ditch effort. Thanks for the info though, i am glad i am able to salvage the mount. I will make an attempt again sood on this project.

B

bedrck46

I never had to cut one off but I would use a cutting blade which is a thin blade you can get them at Lowes or home depot to fit most grinders