Rear axle oil and seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdVoid

Reaction score
hey all, i have a 2000 expedition xlt 5.4 AWD and I am going to be putting in a new seal/seals in my rear axle but I am at a cross road I've done some research and i am coming up with different answers as in what oil i need and if i need to add a friction modifier. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem and could shine some light on the subject. any help would be greatly appreciated

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to know if it has a limited slip or not- that’s the reason for needing the friction modifier.

Look at your axle code on the door sticker. Then do a google search for “ford axle decoder”.

As far as oil, a 75w140 should work.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently most of the 3.73 gear ratios are the limited slip that requires the Ford friction additive. But do like Tom said and check your tag, or run your Vin. Get it right 1st time

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should also be a metal tag with info on the diff, held on by a cover bolt,

the modifier is not needed if ur ltd slip (if u have) is shot,

the manual calls for synthetic but i've been using dino oil for years

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Just did mine 2 months ago. Synthetic 75-140(its on the tag), just under 3 quarts(warning about $12/qt). It was not a posi/locker, just an open diff. It did not need the modifier. A positraction, will have a large assembly between the ring gear and axles. The fill plug was very difficult to remove. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes