Rear Axle Seal Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So noticed a small leak on the passenger side rear axle seal.
Question, these have c-clips to hold in the axle right?
Do I need to press off and on the bearing to replace the seal?

Any other issues I should watch for when doing it?
Thanks ...

2002 EB 5.4

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nobody replace a rear axle seal before?
my main concern is the bearing coming off the axle, is it press off like a 9" or can it come off without a press?
Thanks

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
i did mine a while back, bearings stayed in the rear end when i did mine so i left them alone as they were good, on mine there are C-clips holding in the axle. If you have the LSD just have to watch out for the clutch pack when pulling it apart. jack it up as high as you can go and remove the spare tire will be a big help. I Never removed any of the linkage for the rear end but i did see that it is recomended.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 8.8 doesn't have press on bearing like the older 8" and 9" rear ends. The axle slides out and the bearing and seal will stay in place.

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 9.75 rear end
I do have a LSD and will need to remove the swaybar to get the rear cover off.I put on an extra capacity pan from G2, also I don,t have a spare anymore because of the 38"s

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 9.75 rear end
I do have a LSD and will need to remove the swaybar to get the rear cover off.I put on an extra capacity pan from G2, also I don,t have a spare anymore because of the 38"s

Sorry. But from what I've found it's still a C clip style rear end. So the bearings and seals will stay in the axle housing when you pull the axle. Check the part of the axle that the bearing rides on. I know this is a wear spot on the 8.8.

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry. But from what I've found it's still a C clip style rear end. So the bearings and seals will stay in the axle housing when you pull the axle. Check the part of the axle that the bearing rides on. I know this is a wear spot on the 8.8.

OK thanks for the info.