Rear diff vent tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

large52

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone's rear diff vent tube looks like on there third gen expedition? My rear diff was leaking out the half shaft seals and I found that the diff was overfull from the previous owner, So i drained a little. So far it seems to have fixed it but it is getting colder and that is when they leaked the worst last winter. Anyways while I was under there thought I would check the vent tube and it it is just a piece of rubber tubing that sticks straight up and ends right before the floor board with nothing on the end of it, wondering if this is right or if it is suppose to have a dust cap or anything?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds about right. That's how the one on my Cobra is.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
L

large52

Reaction score
Looks good, thanks for the pic, looks like mine. I guess I'll just leave it alone. I went and looked at a brand new one at the dealership and it looked just like that, just a piece of rubber hose with nothing on the end.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good, thanks for the pic, looks like mine. I guess I'll just leave it alone. I went and looked at a brand new one at the dealership and it looked just like that, just a piece of rubber hose with nothing on the end.

For what it's worth my Silverado has breather filters on all the diffs and transfer case. I think my wife's QX56/ Nissan Patrol does. Makes me wonder why ford would skip it? I did notice that there is some seepage on both sides of the rear differential housing, it looks more like a grease leak from the CVs than a oil leak from the differentials. I supposed I will need to take it in and have them look at that and the squeak from the drivers door area on rough roads.:hmm: