Question on a rear diff - 2017 EL 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SergeantPanda

Reaction score
I had my truck in for service back in July for a front differential replacement. While they had it I asked that they flush the read diff as well.

My truck started making a noise while turning 2-3 months ago. I assumed it was unrelated as it appeared to be coming from the front of the vehicle (sounded like a rubbing noise).

Anyway, I finally had time to bring it into the dealer to get it looked at and they found the noise was coming from the limited switch clutch pack. They added some friction modifier and told me to call them in a couple of weeks to let them know if the noise goes away. If it does, they are going to charge me a diagnostic fee.

My question is, looking at my bill from July, I don't see in the parts list any friction modifier. Everything I'm reading on my Expedition shows to add some if you replace all the fluids in the rear diff. Is this something that is unrelated or should I complain?

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my truck in for service back in July for a front differential replacement. While they had it I asked that they flush the read diff as well.

My truck started making a noise while turning 2-3 months ago. I assumed it was unrelated as it appeared to be coming from the front of the vehicle (sounded like a rubbing noise).

Anyway, I finally had time to bring it into the dealer to get it looked at and they found the noise was coming from the limited switch clutch pack. They added some friction modifier and told me to call them in a couple of weeks to let them know if the noise goes away. If it does, they are going to charge me a diagnostic fee.

My question is, looking at my bill from July, I don't see in the parts list any friction modifier. Everything I'm reading on my Expedition shows to add some if you replace all the fluids in the rear diff. Is this something that is unrelated or should I complain?

Thanks!

If your Expedition has a limited slip rear differential, then a 4-oz bottle of friction modifier should have been added when the rear differential fluid was changed.

Ford’s service procedure is to drain and refill the rear differential - there is not really a flush procedure (other than squirting some type of solvent into the fill-opening).

The lack of friction modifier is why the clutch pack was noisy and possibly damaged. Now, the addition of the friction modifier may temporarily quiet the rear differential - but you may still have a damaged clutch pack.

I would speak with the service manager and point out that the service department failed to service your vehicle properly, and you are entitled to have it repaired at no cost to you (including a diagnostic charge).

OP
OP
S

SergeantPanda

Reaction score
If your Expedition has a limited slip rear differential, then a 4-oz bottle of friction modifier should have been added when the rear differential fluid was changed.

Ford’s service procedure is to drain and refill the rear differential - there is not really a flush procedure (other than squirting some type of solvent into the fill-opening).

The lack of friction modifier is why the clutch pack was noisy and possibly damaged. Now, the addition of the friction modifier may temporarily quiet the rear differential - but you may still have a damaged clutch pack.

I would speak with the service manager and point out that the service department failed to service your vehicle properly, and you are entitled to have it repaired at no cost to you (including a diagnostic charge).
Ok that is what I was afraid of. The service manager was aware that the work had been done a few months before but still said I'd be charged a diagnostic fee.

I will make sure I bring this up to them. I am concerned that permanent damage was done but I may not find out for quite some time. I'm not really sure how to proceed with that.

I appreciate your response!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok that is what I was afraid of. The service manager was aware that the work had been done a few months before but still said I'd be charged a diagnostic fee.

I will make sure I bring this up to them. I am concerned that permanent damage was done but I may not find out for quite some time. I'm not really sure how to proceed with that.

I appreciate your response!

Good luck. I suspect you will end up with a lot of frustration in this matter.

After I bought my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new - I initially always had it serviced at the selling dealer.

For many years I had always done my own vehicle service, but 4 major surgeries put an end to that.

One time, the service department put 5-W-20 oil in the engine (despite 5-W-30 being printed on the oil fill cap). The service manger told me “his guys weren’t used to the 5-W-30 yet”.

Another time, the dealership put 8 quarts of oil in the engine (instead of 6). I always checked the level when I got home. I returned to the dealership and they drained some out, telling me they had no idea how it happened.

I stopped going to that dealership after another poor service encounter.

OP
OP
S

SergeantPanda

Reaction score
Good luck. I suspect you will end up with a lot of frustration in this matter.

After I bought my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new - I initially always had it serviced at the selling dealer.

For many years I had always done my own vehicle service, but 4 major surgeries put an end to that.

One time, the service department put 5-W-20 oil in the engine (despite 5-W-30 being printed on the oil fill cap). The service manger told me “his guys weren’t used to the 5-W-30 yet”.

Another time, the dealership put 8 quarts of oil in the engine (instead of 6). I always checked the level when I got home. I returned to the dealership and they drained some out, telling me they had no idea how it happened.

I stopped going to that dealership after another poor service encounter.
Oh jeeze! Yeah that does not sound fun at all. I'm not looking forward to this either, hopefully they don't give me a hard time.

On the plus side, I haven't paid them for the service yet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire