Rear differential rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keg914

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2003 Fx4 and my rear diff needs to be rebuilt. I bought a clutch disk and steel kit as well as new bearings for the carrier and the pinon, but my question is, how do I remove it to work on it? I unbolted the two mounting bolts, removed the drive axle, disconnected the half shafts from the real hubs. But when I go to slide the diff housing forward to get the mounting bolts out, it hits the gas tank and the muffler. Also, the half shafts are cocked at an ungodly angle and I think they will prevent the diff housing from coming out. I would love to open the back of the diff housing to remove the C clamps to get the half shafts out of the way, but of course you can't remove the back cover because the frame is in the way. Has anyone else attempted this? Any tips? Should I take down the gas tank and get the exhaust out of the way?

OP
OP
keg914

keg914

Reaction score
Okay. That's what I was thinking. But how do you get them out without taking down the rear diff housing? I'm assuming its a C clamp design like the regular 9.75 rear axles are. I took all that out of the way as well. I will check out your link. Thank you.

red423

Reaction score
OK HAAAAAAALLLPP!!
I have an 03 EB with IRS, I have a new set of friction plates and discs, also new set of varible size shims. Thank you mike for the svc manual that really helped me in my quest. If you watch a bazillion YT videos none show a 9.75 IRS they show solid axle friction plate replacement using a 1/2 spreader bolt. The manual shows removal of the whole diff. Benching and removing ring gear to change friction plates, it has to be done this way??? I know there is absolutely no room between diff cover and frame well almost no room, has anyone done this and can give the quickest and safest way for a driveway repair??? I am now thinking my one man repair is going into a couple days......yours red

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, you have to drop the pumpkin out. There's probably a reason nobody has made a video of a driveway repair of an IRS rearend. Hell, I'd be happy with a benchtop repair video.

red423

Reaction score
I would be happy if Ford whom I love dearly would have used 19mm nuts and bolts not 18, or the axle nut is 35mm not 34 or 36 which are kinda common now a days but a true 35. This is what separates Ford from the rest of the "gene" pool. I finally got the right sockets over HF. A set of axle sockets are 50.00 I have almost gotten one knuckle off and one axle loose enough to remove the knuckle it will take some time. But what I am trying to say ever since I bought this Expy,( it was used, and abused electrically) fixed it as I went and drove it everywhere, I didn't realize my affection for her. I started thinking, shoot I'll pop that diff, bench it and rebuild the friction plates whoopee, had to be done, then I started to think well shoot earl if I go ahead and change those worn front seats out to a set of King Ranch, maybe respray the hood, get another set of headphones for the drop down dvd .....................soon as she's done, on the corner she goes for sale.... time to trade up....... and yes the diff has to come out to change the plates as well as the pumpkin............little much for a one man repair. Thanks to you guys once again for the help....red

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Just a heads up, setting up a rear end is no easy task for a novice or for a mechanic for that matter. It's not just a case of changing parts. You have to use calipers etc. to set the correct back lash and get the correct wear pattern. For the average guy I would suggest buying a boneyard rear end. I know it might be a bit of a crap shoot with an older vehicle, but the odds are pretty good you'll find a good one.

backlash.jpg images.jpg

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay. That's what I was thinking. But how do you get them out without taking down the rear diff housing? I'm assuming its a C clamp design like the regular 9.75 rear axles are. I took all that out of the way as well. I will check out your link. Thank you.

The shafts are held in by snap rings... you can pop the shafts out with a little prying.

File_002 (5).jpeg