Rear end differential metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johndint

Reaction score
I just bought an 03 EB with 25k miles. I checked out the differential in the rear and found little pieces of metal. Has anyone checked their differential oil and if so have you had the same issue?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should not have "pieces of metal" in there! Now, the oil drain plug has a magnet on it, on the inside edge, so that it can pull out metal from the oil, and I assume this is where you found the metal pieces. You should only have some "sludge" (very fine metal) on this magnet, which is normal since it is expected that the gears will wear slightly over its lifetime.

This is what I would do, as long as everything seems to be runnign OK.
- Drain and replace the gear oil.
- check again after a few thousand miles, or when you change you motor oil next.

If you get more metal pieces, bring it in and have it pulled and inspected.

BTW - is it not under warranty anymore? If it is, then ignore above and bring it in immediately.

Rfreels

Reaction score
My '03 with 44k had the same problem as yours. Does it have whine starting at 40 mph? I had to have the ring gear and pinion replaced. This is a problem the Ford knows all too well about. I was told that Ford was getting their rears from an outside vender and they had some tooling problems that created junk rearends from about '99 to '03. Now they make their own.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I hadd mine replaced 3 times in my 03 and the front diff was rebuilt once. Had to take it in a 4th time cause the axle seals started to leak. I was not a happy camper. I finally dumped it for a 2005. Best thing I could have done.

Tibiko

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rfreels
. I was told that Ford was getting their rears from an outside vender and they had some tooling problems that created junk rearends from about '99 to '03. Now they make their own.

FORD do not manufacture anything else but engines. Like any other auto manufacturer, all parts are bought from "outside" vendors and put together on the assembly line.
DANA is a major axle manufacturer and supplies almost every mfg. from Honda to GM including Ford. There is no such thing as a Ford' manufactured axle, no matter how junk it is....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford