Rear Hatch "misbehaving" -- anyone else have this problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2018 Platinum "Shorty" rear hatch has been behaving rather oddly. In a certain type of situation, the hatch will refuse to close:

1. Park and turn the ignition OFF.
  2. Driver stays seated and belted in.
  3. Driver pushes the button on the dash to open the rear hatch.
  4. A passenger gets out, goes around and gets something out of the back, then pushes the button on the hatch to close it
  5. The hatch closes about 1/3 of the way, stops, and the horn beeps twice.

If the passenger then pushes the button on the hatch again, it goes back to the full-open position. Push the button again, and it goes about 1/3 of the way, stops, and the horn beeps twice. If the driver pushes the button on the dash, it does the exact same thing. Imagine this happening at the airport drop-off!

In this situation, the only way I can get the hatch to close is by turning the ignition ON and pushing the button on the dash. The hatch then goes to the full-open position. If I then push the button a second time, the hatch finally closes.

As you can imagine, this is a PITA. Before I take it to the dealer I was wondering if anyone else may have experienced something similar?

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hatch could be encountering too much resistance closing in one of the lift mechanisms(highly unlikely). The most common issue is dirt accumulation on the antenna lead and control box that runs across the rear fascia for the kick to open system. Several of us have disconnected the antenna lead since the kick to open is fussy anyway and we do not want the hatch attempting to open in a closed garage. See post 13 for the location and instructions if you decide to disable.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-operability.37909/page-2#post-328138

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, I had something similar happen to me last weekend. I had the truck remote started and approached the rear to load bags. I opened the rear hatch with the remote and it worked fine. I positioned myself to load the bags and then I hear "beep beep" and the hatch starts to close. WTF? I put my hand up to stop the hatch from decapitating me and push it back up manually. 3 seconds later same thing, rinse and repeat. Another 3 seconds or so and it does it again WTFFF! I figured maybe the remote in my pocket was getting e button pushed but double checked and seemed fine. Weird....

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it did this to me once. Started closing all by itself while I was loading stuff. These newer trucks have some WEIRD electrical glitches!

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hatch could be encountering too much resistance closing in one of the lift mechanisms(highly unlikely).

I would say this is unlikely because it works perfectly fine the rest of the time. It only gives us trouble in this one very specific situation. Weird!

And, yes, I agree the "kick to open" feature is a bit glitchy. I can't get it to work much of the time.

Cigarguy

Reaction score
I had this happen probably 1 out of 5 times with my 2018. Dealer said it was a known issue and there is a software update available. Haven’t had an issue since they did the update.

zoey2015

Reaction score
I have had similar cases with the rear hatch when loading or unloading but I realized that I happened to put my foot under the bumper where the sensor is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I am having an entirely different issue with my rear hatch on my ‘19 Expi. Took it to the dealership and they said there’s a TSB out for a faulty ground connection in the hatch wiring. They will fix it no charge. I suspect you may have the same issue (faulty ground) and it’s manifested itself with a different symptom than mine.
Just a thought.

jwas1

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my ‘18. Dealer fixed it, but the kick to lift no longer works. Small price to pay to avoid getting hit by hatch