Rear Liftgate Lock intermittent working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spatula

Reaction score
Howdy. !998 XLT model, power locks in general work fine, all 4 doors lock and unlock just fine with the buttons or key fob. However, I have noticed more and more lately that the rear liftgate lock isn't unlocking completely. Not only does it stay locked, but if I put the key into the cylinder, I can't unlock it that way either. Sometimes pressing the main lock/unlock switch on the driver's door 8 or 10 times will clear it up, but sometimes it won't. Then after driving a day or two it will magically unlock again. I am guessing it's some sort of loose electrical connection or something, but before i start tearing into things, anyone got any ideas? Or been through this yourself already? Since it does actually work sometimes, I'm not even sure how to test it.
Honestly I don't care if the power feature unlocks it, as long as I can unlock it with a key. What bothers me is that somehow the key won't work either. All leads appreciated, thanks,

OP
OP
S

spatula

Reaction score
OK I'll post a followup, since I hate searching for old threads and finding one with no answer. Basically I pulled the interior cover and dug into the rear hatch lock assembly puzzle, trying to figure out what was going on (or not going on in this case). As part of that I pulled the lock cylinder to check it. Surprise! Looks like I actually had 2 separate problems, that were just adding together to make a mess. Basically the intermittent power locking is still there, but the key problem was just a cruddy, nasty lock cylinder that wouldn't turn independent of anything else. I cleaned it and re-lubed it, and now it's turning like butter once again. So while the power lock still doesn't work 100% of the time, as long as I can get in with a key I'm happy. Hope this helps someone down the road - sometimes it's not just one thing, it may be a couple things all piled up together. Thanks,

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I bought a new actuator, but never installed it (it's a PITA job). Most often the gate unlocks, except after the car sits for a long time or when its cold outside. Also, make sure you lubricate locks - it helps.

OP
OP
S

spatula

Reaction score
Thanks, I was figuring that was part of it. I have been into that mess a few times now, I replaced the ends on both cables (word to the wise, do them both while you're in there the first time, otherwise the second one will go out the day after you fix the first one). I am learning the various parts, but it's such a pain to get in there and work on anything I am putting off anything else right now. hopefully the key will work from now on, so I can deal with it that way. thanks,

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I was figuring that was part of it. I have been into that mess a few times now, I replaced the ends on both cables (word to the wise, do them both while you're in there the first time, otherwise the second one will go out the day after you fix the first one). I am learning the various parts, but it's such a pain to get in there and work on anything I am putting off anything else right now. hopefully the key will work from now on, so I can deal with it that way. thanks,
Sure. Like I said, I just open it with a key and have been doing it for at least 5 years, because I dread trying to replace that actuator...

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine the actuator was fine. Those cables that look like they are made for bicycle brakes wear out at the end and you cant open anything. Open the panel in the rear while you can and replace those. I doubt it would be the actuator.