2019 XLT Rear Hatch locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skydiver

Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT Expedition that is having intermittent issues with the electronic solindoid not working when trying to unlock the rear cargo hatch.
Sometime when I try to press the button nothing clicks and it fails to unlock. Usually I have to power cycle the car (on then off without starting) and then sometime it willl unlock. When it does this it will not unlock via the rear hatch button nor via the car unlock button pressed twice.

The lock will also sometime not allow the match to close. The metal hook will sometime appear to not close when I push the hatch close.

I can’t figure out if I have a lock problem, a solindoid problem or both. I would like to figure out how to troubleshoot and fix myself. Don’t relish what the dealer is going to change for this.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could it be a battery issue? Maybe the turning the car off and on wakes up the module. Although I’m not sure that it explains the failure to latch.

OP
OP
S

skydiver

Reaction score
I have not had any issues with battery power, but it could be a relay to the lock issue.
I sprayed the lock with some royal purple gun lube but it still sometimes seem to stick open when I try to close the rear hatch.

D Hook

Reaction score
Check that you don't have anything jamming the rear hatch door and not allowing it to fully close. I had a floor mat in the back that was jamming itself against the door when closing the hatch and wouldn't allow the mechanism to work. No sound of unlocking with the fob. Once I removed the mat, never had a problem with it again. Of course, this was AFTER tearing apart the entire back hatch and lubricating all the parts. When the hatch was open everything worked fine. Soon as it was closed, couldn't get it to open.

OP
OP
S

skydiver

Reaction score
I finally tracked down a new tailgate Latch for my manual loft tailgate (Ford Part JL1Z*7443150*A). The are on backorder from Ford with no expoected date.

I am going to install this tonight. Are there any links to how to remove the interior tailgate trim on the manual lift tailgate for the 4th Expeditions?

I am going to try to video my install to helpful help others... this is apparently not an uncommon issue based on feedback from a couple Ford dealers in my area.

shelbywoo

Reaction score
Hi Skydiver! I’m having this same issue! Took it all apart to find out the part is on back order. Did replacing the part you mentioned solve it?

OP
OP
S

skydiver

Reaction score
Yes it fixed the issue. Took about an hour to replace. 15 minutes to disassemble the rear tailgate inside covers and replace the latch then 45 to get it popped back into place.
I got a referral from the Caliber Collision manager that was in charge of the sent my sister-in-law put in my rear bumper to their Ford Parts desk agent at a local Ford dealer. He was able to check inventory at all Ford dealers in Texas and he found one in Conroe. He then called them an immediately bought it for me and got it sent to his desk.
Took 4 days.

I need to edit down the video I took replaceing it. I didn’t have help so I don’t know how good the videp will be but hopefully it will help others.