Rear Right Brake Light Not Working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncirino

Reaction score
Hi All...

New to the forum would love any advice possible.

I have a 1998 XLT V8 5.4L. The right rear brake light will not work. The left rear works perfectly. Tailights work fine and the Flasher will work in the front but not in the rear.

Checked the bulbs and sockets... good
Checked the fuses... look good
Replaced the brake switch
Replaced the multifunction switch

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
N

ncirino

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply...

I replaced the multifunction switch on the steering column. The flashers work in the front and on the rear left side.

Only the rear brake and blinker on the right side will not work.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There is no flasher in these trucks. You probably have a wiring or ground problem. Make certain the bulb is correct and good. Swap it with the other side's to check it. Then get a schematic of the wiring and check it for power along the route... and check the ground route and the local ground connection by the tail light also.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have the two piece plug? My 2014 does. I had the right rear brake light stop working. Took the lens off, fiddled with it, swapped bulbs from the other side, wiggled it and suddenly it started working. Put it all back together and it lasted a few months before it quit working again.

Took stuff apart, realized the plug was a two piece unit. The wiring is connected to the rear part, the front part plugs onto the rear part and the bulb plugs into the front part of the light socket. Bent the blades, tried scraping/scrubbing corrosion of the blades and got it working but still ordered a new plug for it. New plug came in (easy to replace as it just plugs onto the other end - no wire cutting/splicing required for that style plug) and I installed it. No issues since.

Sometimes those plugs can get a little hot and stuff warps, or corrodes, and it's just a matter of time till you have light issues.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no flasher in these trucks. You probably have a wiring or ground problem. Make certain the bulb is correct and good. Swap it with the other side's to check it. Then get a schematic of the wiring and check it for power along the route... and check the ground route and the local ground connection by the tail light also.

there is a flasher on the 1st and 2nd gens...i believe the flasher was removed on the 3rd gens forward...i replaced my flasher when i changed all my bulbs to LEDs...stops the hyperflash and its easier to do than to add resistors for LED bulbs

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my driver side tail went out 3 yrs after i bought the truck new...come to find out the tail lights are on a wiring harness in the panels and had burnt up up to the rear speaker for reverse beeping...replaced from that point back to the tails and they worked again