Rear storage ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65comet

Reaction score
I want to get a container that will fit behind the third seat to put in some tools, the hitch, jumper cables, etc. Not too big or heavy that my wife can't move it when she needs to. I thought I'd ask and see what other people have used before I go shopping for one.
I had a cargo net across to keep stuff from falling out when the hatch is opened, but it would be nice to have it all in one closed box for organization and ease of movement when the whole area is needed for something else. Plus it will look better.
Thanks for any posts.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just use a tub that is big enough to hold my jumper cables, a towing chain, caution triangles, some rope and a couple of blankets plus there is room in there for more. I'm going to add some padded rubber on the bottom so it doesn't slide around. I'll see if I can get a picture and post it later.

tub2.JPG
Tub1.JPG

Last edited:

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
does the 3 rd seat even get used ? if not i have a plan that i am still in the process of doing.I thought about using a aluminium diamond plate tool box one of those little ones.but i am not goona go out an buy it sure there not cheap priced

Something like this

op42010_03.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a small tub as well. But measure first. My tub doesn't fit with my 3rd row is installed.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could use an old luggage. The one you use when taking a flight. Its handy, has wheels and hand holds and quite sturdy too.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use two of those Rubbermaid caddies. One is the one designed to hold 6 cleaning bottles, I bought two spray bottles that fit the cut-outs perfectly (one gets filled with Zep glass cleaner, the other with Miracle Wash Waterless wash and polish) plus a roll of paper towels, one quart Amsoil 5W-20 and other stuff. The second caddy is the same size but squared out. Hitch, locking pin, spare pin, hand tools, mechanics gloves and such go in there. Then my Vise-On-A-Receiver takes up the rest of the space so none of it moves around.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of your vice on a receiver? I'd like to see that. I never thought about that before.

I'll see if I can take one tonight then figure how to get it up on the site. I don't have or use any of those media sites that some forums require posters to use to post photos.

I mounted my Vise on this from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-mount-vise-plate-66260.html

I do a bunch of shooting (I enjoy shooting sports and I like to be prepared). One of my favorite quotes since I am a Marine is from General Mattis, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." I build and repair ARs as a hobby so its best to have a vise when working on an AR Upper or Lower so having it portable and available in the truck is great. I also have a receiver mounted under my reloading bench so the receiver vise slides right in so I can use it at the bench also.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can take one tonight then figure how to get it up on the site. I don't have or use any of those media sites that some forums require posters to use to post photos.

One of my favorite quotes since I am a Marine is from General Mattis, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Thanks - the link is perfect. I was just at Harbor Freight last week. I'll look for it next time I go back. You can post pictures from your computer directly to this site by uploading them Click on the More Options... button and then use the Upload a File button below the text box. You can select your file and then choose thumbnail or full size. Thumbnails are clickable and expand to full size.

I love that quote too. I shoot mostly pistol indoors as I don't have a good place to go to shoot rifle at this point.

I do like the idea of having a vice in the truck just in case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman