rear view camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mud turtle

Reaction score
My 08 expedition eddie bauer does not have a rear view camera on the rear handle even though I have read that the rear view camera was part of the option package on the eb editions. Any other location camera could be? Can an after market camera be connected to the factory radio (has the large screen with navigation)

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '12 and looked into this since I only had the EL XLT. Oftimes cars are wired for all the options even if the hardware was not part of that car. I have just finished installing a rear camera in my car and the rear hatch inside lower trim has not yet been reinstalled. I just went out and checked to see if there was an extra pigtail out there. I did not bother to check earlier because I bought my camera and head unit from Crutchfield - they are very good with support. They did not suggest any kind of adapters or splices so I assumed I could not readily adapt. This is after I had them provide me with the Maestro data adapter unit (to retain steering wheel button controls) and a nominal fee for them to also build the completed harness for me.

So - just came back from the garage - with all the stuff back there on the hatch - 2 switches, the wiper motor, two opening actuators (glass window and entire deck) - lights - it appears that all the wiring to my deck was utilized (in other words I did NOT notice an extra pigtail that might have been connected to a camera). I'm not an Eddy Baeur Edition, however.

You can remove your rear trim pieces and inspect - the rear chrome piece above the license plate is my guess where yours would be - this is held to the deck by four nuts. To remove the inside trim lower, you pop the trim piece forward - but be careful - it actually comes off in an upward direction. Pop the glass window and remove the screws in there (they are the plastic nut style - without pressing in much pressure gently unscrew until you can grab them and remove). Once that's done, then pop the other clips loose being careful not to move the top forward (you can tear the trim upper segment). Once you take that trim off then you can undo the 4 nuts holding the chromed plastic on.

If you have to run a new wire (as I did), it's not tremendously challenging, but not for the feint of heart either. The most challenging part was pulling the RCA connector and wiring through the rubber boot at the top of the deck (said rubber boot where your factory harness is protected).

OP
OP
M

Mud turtle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply......I don't know if this was a special ordered Expedition. I bought it form a dealer but I am only the second owner. There are several options missing that Ford said were standard on the EB editions, rearview camera, heat seats and foldable mirrors are 2 options mine does not have. It has the double-din factory head unit so I'm going to pull it out and see it there is an available connection for an after market camera........

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may be able to call call Ford Customer service, have them run the VIN number and they can possibly tell you what came standard. I think you are mistaken on what was standard on the Eddie Bauer edition. I just did a simple search and it looks like even with the Eddie Bauer edition, the things you speak of were NOT standard.

To quote one website:

Options for Eddie Bauer models over and above those of the XLT include heated and cooled front seats ($625), new-for-2008 power running boards ($995), power rear liftgate ($495), a navigation system ($1295), rear-seat DVD entertainment system ($1995), the new rear backup camera ($455), and P275/55R20 tires.

another website showed Ford's ad listing (https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2008-Ford-Expedition-Eddie_Bauer__4dr_4x4/reviews/), it read the following:

The Eddie Bauer ($35,865) and Eddie Bauer 4WD ($38,675) are trimmed as outdoor adventure vehicles and are distinguished by a longer list of convenience features as standard equipment, notably the Expedition's unique power-folding split third-row seat. Other standard features include leather upholstery, 10-way power adjustable driver's seat, six-way power adjustable front passenger seat, memory for the mirrors and driver's seat, dual-zone automatic climate control, an AM/FM stereo tuner with 6CD changer, trip computer, conversation mirror, mirror-mounted turn signals, and protective cladding for the lower body panels. The Eddie Bauer EL ($38,515) and Eddie Bauer EL 4WD ($41,415) are equipped like the standard wheelbase versions but have front tow hooks and 255/70R18 tires instead of 17s.

Options for Eddie Bauer models over and above those of the XLT include heated and cooled front seats ($625), new-for-2008 power running boards ($995), power rear liftgate ($495), a navigation system ($1295), rear-seat DVD entertainment system ($1995), the new rear backup camera ($455), and P275/55R20 tires.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For 2007-14, there were two different chrome pieces on the rear -- with camera and without. They're both almost identical but the one with camera has the hatch switch moved over a bit and there's also an extra cutout where the camera is installed. I know this because I bought some of the parts needed to upgrade my old 2009. At the time, just the chrome trim piece was $600 new. Very few used parts were available. The only used one I could find had chrome with some bubbles in it. I was planning to modify the part on my truck to accept the camera but I never had time to get to it. It's far easier to get the chrome piece from a truck that already has the camera option. I still have this piece but like I said the chrome is starting to bubble.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik