Special Service Message 52241 - 2022-2024 Expedition - Grainy/Fuzzy/Pixelated Rear View Camera Image

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 52241 2022-2024 Expedition - Grainy/Fuzzy/Pixelated Rear View Camera Image

Some 2022-2024 Expedition vehicles equipped with an analog camera and a 12 inch center display screen may exhibit a rear camera image that the customer describes as grainy, fuzzy, or pixelated. This may be due to the interaction between the analog camera and the high definition digital center display screen. To confirm a vehicle is built with an analog camera and a 12 inch center display screen, verify the minor feature codes J3KAR (REAR VIEW CAMERA - LEVEL 2) and HJGAX (MULTI FUNCTION DISPLAY - 12 inch) by reviewing the build information by double-clicking the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the upper left corner in the Professional Technician System (PTS). This is an operating characteristic of the vehicle. Do not attempt any repairs for this condition.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Some 2022-2024 Expedition vehicles equipped with an analog camera and a 12 inch center display screen may exhibit a rear camera image that the customer describes as grainy, fuzzy, or pixelated. This may be due to the interaction between the analog camera and the high definition digital center display screen. To confirm a vehicle is built with an analog camera and a 12 inch center display screen, verify the minor feature codes J3KAR (REAR VIEW CAMERA - LEVEL 2) and HJGAX (MULTI FUNCTION DISPLAY - 12 inch) by reviewing the build information by double-clicking the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the upper left corner in the Professional Technician System (PTS). This is an operating characteristic of the vehicle. Do not attempt any repairs for this condition.

Wow.

A rear camera display that is grainy, fuzzy or pixilated is now considered normal operating characteristics.

Ford should recall the affected vehicles and fix this defect.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking to the 2022/2023/2024 Expedition/Expedition Max Order Guides...

The XL including STX, XLT, and Limited 301A Mid Package and Timberline 500A trim levels provide only the 12" LCD touchscreens with SYNC 4 and the analog rear camera mentioned in this Special Service Message.

Limited 302A High Level Package, Stealth 303A & 304A trim levels offer the 15.5" LCD touchscreen with SYNC 4A and HD-quality (my description) rear camera as a standalone option.

Timberline High Package 501A, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels include the 15.5" LCD touchscreen with SYNC 4A and HD-quality (my description) rear camera.

Looking to photos of 2022 Expeditions offered for sale online, and being mindful of possible quality variations in the photographs...

2022 XLT With 12" Screen and Analog Camera

2022 Expedition XLT 12'' Touchscreen with Analog Camera Image.jpg

2022 Timberline High Package 501A With 15.5" Screen and HD-Quality (My Description) Camera

2022 Expedition Timberline w Optional 15'' Touchscreen with Digital Camera Image.jpg

I expect both camera images look better in the vehicles than they look in these photos.

It strikes me as comparable to watching television on a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) model (yeah, I'm a Boomer) versus watching the same program on a 53" Flat Screen.

The latter is clearly better than the former, but you can follow the storyline on both.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The J3KAB rearview camera on my 2024 expedition xlt seems fine. I am annoyed by the white lines, though. They do nothing but misleading to me.

jimmyjess

Reaction score

I own a 2012 SVT RAPTOR, and about a year ago I bought a 2022 expy for my wife, to this day I still try to peel of an imaginary protective film over the rear view camera of the expy!!!, because I just cannot wrap my head around how worse the image is in a brand new vehicle when compared to that on a 13 year old truck.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reviewing 46 online listings of 2012 F-150 Raptors, these are the best-three Raptor photos...

2012 F-150 Raptor Rear Camera Image #1.jpg

2012 F-150 Raptor Rear Camera Image #2.jpg

2012 F-150 Raptor Rear Camera Image #3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65