Rear wiper fluid leak into cargo area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2017ecoboost

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and in need of some help.
We have a 2017 XLT, and the other day when activating the rear wiper system we started hearing what sounded like water pouring into the cargo space. It appears that the water is coming from right near the speaker in on the passenger side corner out of the headliner.
Does anyone have of a tubing diagram for the washer fluid route/ best way to access this tubing? I'm assuming cargo headliner needs to be pulled down, just worried about breaking the fasteners etc.
I pulled down the speaker and of course broke the plastic clip that holds it in already....

Any help is appreciated!

abnmike

Reaction score
I just bought a used Limited EL and same thing happened.

If you pull down the top rear cross trim piece you should be able to access it.

It’s a bad design. The hose to the washer only pushes into the main hose. When the washer gets blocked (mine was), the pressure forces the hose apart.

If you get that plastic piece off and shine a light you can see the hose. The long rubber connects to a hard line maybe 6 or so inches from the very back of the truck.

I pulled all the rubber out, blew it clear, then rerouted it back and pushed it onto the fitting.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2017 XLT, and the other day when activating the rear wiper system we started hearing what sounded like water pouring into the cargo space. It appears that the water is coming from right near the speaker in on the passenger side corner out of the headliner.
Does anyone have of a tubing diagram for the washer fluid route/ best way to access this tubing? I'm assuming cargo headliner needs to be pulled down, just worried about breaking the fasteners etc.
I pulled down the speaker and of course broke the plastic clip that holds it in already....

Any help is appreciated!

I would also remove the exterior high mounted brake light assembly (two screws) - and ensure that the hose is connected to the washer spray nozzle.

You may want to ensure the washer spray nozzle is clear and not clogged (as mentioned in post #2) before reattaching the washer hose.

The nozzle assembly is not serviced separately, but is part of the brake light lamp assembly.

abnmike

Reaction score
^ true. I forgot about that part. I did remove the taillight assembly (3rd light) and then the upper cross trim piece.

I was able to blow mine clear by mouth. Once you have good airflow through the washer nozzle you can reconnect the hose.

I attached a photo showing about where the hard line connector is located. The tube from the engine runs up through and ends in a hard tube. Your rubber tube going to the rear washer blew off there. It’s tight but you can reach between the headliner and roof and get it on there.

IMG_1834.jpeg

Calman2k

Reaction score
This happened to me too, but apparently the design is so bad just regular use can cause it to come off. The nozzle will provide some back pressure on the line and over time its enough. I'm not sure where it came disconnected, but I was having fluid spilling into the back. I didn't want to break the clips and just ended up having the shop do it (not Ford, ew) when they changed my oil last, which by the way, only costs me $10 more to have them do it.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be a common problem on Expeditions. My rear washer line became disconnected behind the passenger side interior kick panel. Drained the entire gallon of fluid into the bottom of the door frame. This on an '03 Expedition. No wonder my rear washer hasn't worked in several years. I couldn't reconnect it, so I just plugged the hose. No rear washer but fixed the leak.

ernest1902

Reaction score

Any help is appreciated!
What would you like to buy?