Rear wiper issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone experience an issue where the rear wiper arm, when turned on at any setting will often stop about half way, make a popping sound and go back to it's resting spot on it's first movement? Of course it's sporadic so getting it to do it at the dealer is going to be fun.

But it doesn't matter if the window is wet, dry, snowy, etc. Doesn't matter if I put it on constant or intermittent. The blade is new and in great shape.

When it stops, if I turn it off and then back on, it works fine.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve never had the issue. Have you tried opening the window and manual running the wiper back and forth? Does it move freely? Just remember to line it back up before closing. I wonder if it is an issue with the motor or the assembly on the window.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like something internal of the motor if it fixes itself on a key cycle but could also be a loose wiper arm. Maybe pop the cap at the base of the arm and see of the screw that holds the arm to the mechanism is tight.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it only happen after you've opened the rear window? If so it might just be re-engaging since opening the window disconnects the wiper from the motor.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks all for some responses. I'll do my best to double check the arm itself.

I don't have to key cycle the vehicle to get it to start working again, when it happens, I just simply have to turn the wiper off then back on again and it works fine.

As far as it happening when I open/close the lift glass, I haven't actually seen a correlation there, but I will pay close attention.

Benztech

Reaction score
We had to have our rear glass adjusted for the same issue (wouldn't park). The pin that engages is spring loaded and can only move so far. If wiper travel is stopping or skipping it's likely the pin is popping out due to glass adjustment or binding.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this fun story gets even better. Walked out to my garage yesterday to notice this dangling in the rear view mirror.

Just got back from dealer, have an appointment next week for a new lift glass. And at the same time. I was actually able to demonstrate the wiper issue to the service manager. They are ordering parts for a new wiper motor as well. But they told me could take two days to do the glass and wiper motor? Really, seems like 3-4 hrs to me. Also. They have 33 people in line for loaners, so looks like I won't even get a loaner vehicle. What a pain, and also, what ****** designs. Every vehicle I've owned in the last almost 20yrs had a lift glass, not one of them had ever had a wire yank off and I used to be that guy driving around with the lift glass open and bouncing around (usually cuz I had lumber sticking out the back)

Attachments

• PXL_20220303_190806430.jpg
    PXL_20220303_190806430.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 13