Rear wipers and washer pump not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Reaction score
Evening everyone, just joined the Forum, first post...

I've owned (2) 98 Expeditions, both with the 4.6.... first one bought in 2007 for $4800 with 204K on it, drove it for 6 years, till a head gasket went at 344K. Wasn't worth fixing, so I bought the second one with a bad tranny for $1000, swapped in the rebuilt transmission from the first one... then 2 months later, a head gasket went. Dropped $1800 on having it redone, then threw a rod a mere 9 months later.

So I had a decision: another motor for a '98, or look for another vehicle. Used motors around here are still $500+, and to pay to have someone put it in would be another $600-900....

Found a 2004 5.4 liter Expy XLT with the DVD package and power everything for $1900. Granted, it has 204K on it, but mileage has never scared me, if it was taken care of. The previous owner said it had a few little quirks that would be easy to fix, they just needed to downsize. It does have rusted rockers, but I know someone who can fab up heavy-gauge panels to cover them.

The quirks:
Passenger window didn't work - $12 window switch, fixed.
Gas leak - $20 fuel filter, fixed.
Cruise control - doesn't work, haven't fixed yet.
Rear wipers and washer pump don't work, thought it might be a fuse - nope, if a fuse is blown, no wipers would work, and the fronts do. Dis some research, was told that it would have to be the Multifunction Switch (turn signals, wipers, etc), so I ordered one - nope. No change, front wipers ONLY work, still don't have any rears, nor any fluid from the washer pump.

Any thoughts/ input?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for your cruise control

Visual Inspection Chart Mechanical Electrical
Speed control cable
Throttle lever
Speed control actuator
Brake pedal position (BPP) switch
Speed control deactivator switch
Bent brake pedal deactivator switch tab
Power control module (PCM)
Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
5 (7.5A)
12 (10A)
28 (5A)
Circuitry

Try to run the self test

Speed Control Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

NOTE: A review of the following test steps is required before carrying out the Self-Test Diagnostic procedure. After entering the diagnostic mode, the module will time out if the mandatory switch sequence is not completed within 5 seconds. If a module time out occurs, the procedure must be reinitiated.

Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by pressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control actuator. Release the OFF switch.
Press and release the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL (for Expedition), ON RESUME, COAST and CANCEL (for Navigator).
The speed control indicator lamp will flash after each switch is pressed and released. Press and release each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and released and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) or CANCEL (for Navigator) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switches are defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
NOTE: If unable to enter self-test, Go To Pinpoint Test D .

OP
OP
B

BigDaddy13440

Reaction score
Don't even care so much about the cruise, my wife hates using it.
My concern isn't even with the rear wipers, our first Expedition never had ones that worked.
What I need to get fixed is the washer fluid motor - already had a low of 10* here overnight in NY, when the roads get crappy and all the dirty slush gets thrown on the windows, gonna be tough to clean them when the slush freezes instantly.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to disconnect the connector to the washer motor Then use either a test light or meter and see if you are getting 12 volts to the motor connector If so then the motor is bad if not then its a wiring problem or the switch

also try moving the tilt steering to see if any wires may be damaged

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You stated "Rear wipers and washer pump don't work, thought it might be a fuse - nope, if a fuse is blown, no wipers would work, and the fronts do."

Not a true statement

Check fuse #1 and #113 use a meter or test light not your eyes to test

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The washer pump is inoperative

Washer pump.
Multifunction switch.
Windshield wiper motor.
Rear window wiper motor.
Circuitry.

Windshield washer hoses
Wiper linkage
Multifunction switch
CJB fuses:
1 (10A)
38 (25A)
113 (30A)
Circuitry
Windshield wiper

OP
OP
B

BigDaddy13440

Reaction score
The washer pump is inoperative

Washer pump. *** Nope, tried another good used one, neither worked. No power to pump.
Multifunction switch. *** Replaced it with a brand new one, still nothing.
Windshield wiper motor. *** Front wipers work, just no pump.
Rear window wiper motor. *** Possibly, but that still doesn't solve the "washer pump" not working.
Circuitry.

Windshield washer hoses
Wiper linkage
Multifunction switch
CJB fuses:
1 (10A)
38 (25A)
113 (30A)
Circuitry
Windshield wiper
Is it possible the underhood relays are shot? (if there are any? found conflicting information in searching...)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two relays work together and if on fails it affects the other being your rear wiper isn't working you may have to replace the whole unit in order for your washers to work