Rec: Don't Use Spray Valve Cleaner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ford, as in Ford Motor Company? Or some guy on the internet who knows more than them?

Is there a bolt on catch can setup, or is this not recommended by Ford either?

-- Chuck

Ford themselves does not recommend the spray valve cleaners, dealers use it after warranty as a solution to customers. The issue is that under rare circumstances a large chunk can break free and do damage.

Yes there are several Catch Can options out there. JLT is who I recommend. They are a VA company, do really good work, excellent customer service, and the their setup is easy to install and not ridiculously expensive. Yes, of course Ford doesn’t recommend because then they would have to admit there is actually a build up problem. There are many people with videos and pictures of how much oil is caught by the can. Have one sitting in the Garage for both my Edge and Expy, need it to stop raining so I can install!!!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford, the same company who insisted to run 5w-20 in the 5.4L to meet overbearing cafe regs when they knew the engine and the VCT components were designed for 5w-30? Even when research and testing showed clearly 5w-30 was better suited to protect the VCT components to the point dealers went against them and put in 30 weight anyway? That company? Yea I don’t take their word on stuff like this. Now they say you can’t use valve cleaner on a motor that gets deposits on valves.....huh sounds familiar.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Loki --

Not raining here in Winterpock right now. :)

Looking at the JLT in another window at present. I can't see where it would connect to my engine but I have the plastic cover on the engine. I'd find a photo of your system -- when installed -- helpful. When anyone tells me 5 minutes to install I figure on at least an hour.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki --

Not raining here in Winterpock right now. :)

Looking at the JLT in another window at present. I can't see where it would connect to my engine but I have the plastic cover on the engine. I'd find a photo of your system -- when installed -- helpful. When anyone tells me 5 minutes to install I figure on at least an hour.

-- Chuck

Haha! Yeah, that work thing gets in the way of my Mods!!!

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck only has 6k miles and I have a JLT oil catch can so I am some time away before I need the intake spray.

When I reach 20k miles I will spray it into the intake AFTER the turbos. This way the cleaner goes directly into the manifold and not through the turbos. I might use the hole/port used by the MAP sensor. I might get a check engine light from the vacuum leak but that can be reset with a decent code scanner.

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I tried the CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner at the manifold map sensor and then, before the throttle body and it caused the engine to over rev both times. I think the map sensor(s) will detect a low boost/no vacuum condition causing the engine to rev high. It worked fine spraying after the air filter tho...

Last edited: