Remote Oil Filter Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSRocket

Reaction score
I am looking to install (have installed) a kit to remotely mount the oil filter to make my filter changes easier (2003 XLT 5.4 L). Does anyone have a suggestion as to brand etc? Should I have the dealer do it? Is there any downside to having your filter remotely mounted (in terms of filtration rate/quality)?

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '03 EXPY and I went with this kit from Summit Racing

http://tinyurl.com/yuhxk

sum-g4986.jpg
IMG_0076.JPG
This is how it looks mounted on our truck.

It's a dual filter set-up. Is a dual filter necessary? Not really, but the price was right and I thought the extra filtration couldn't hurt since I use synthetic and leave the oil in the engine a lot longer.

You can do it yourself, but you'll need a drill. If you want to mount it where I did, you will need to drill into the frame to mount it.

If you are local, I could help you with install.

There only downside for remotely relocating your filter is new points where possible oil leaks can occur, but this is dependent on the quality of the install. For the most part, a good installation won't yield any leaks. Keep in mind that the Ford factory relocationg kit provides just as many points for leaking as well, so it's more the installation than the kit.

Amsoil also sells a kit which also includes a very fine 5 micron filter (I think) that really cleans the oil, but that kit costs upwards of $200 - too much for me.

JC Whitney also has a kit that can either be single or dual (like the one above).

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JSRocket

Reaction score
Thanks - I live in Howell, NJ (Central). Not sure where you are. Are there pre-drilled holes (set up by Ford) on the Expy for mounting the remote? I was also looking at the single kit from JC Whitney. Not sure of the quality, though.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm out in California.

There are no pre-drilled holes that I could use for my set up.

There may be pre-drilled holes that could be used with the Ford Factory oil filter relocation kit, but the only way to know is if someone kind enough with the tow package on their '03 Expy could snap a picture of it to see where exactly it is mounted.

But drilling is no problem. I suggest starting with the smallest drill bit to get through the metal and then getting bigger and bigger. Much easier than trying to muscle through with a large drill bit to start.

I think JC Whitney is good quality also.

Keep in mind that when you get the kit, it doesn't come with filters. Don't forget to get a filter that matches with the kit. It may not necessarily be the same filter that goes onto your truck!

bluzjamer

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only guy that had problems changing out the filter.....and that's fords better idea?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by bluzjamer
.....and that's fords better idea?

What r u talking about, with or without the remote filter setup?

I have the remote filter setup as factory stock on my '98 EB, and it is nothing but a dream to change the oil filter. On my previuous trucks, pulling the oil filter from the block meant that oil would go everywhere....except the oil pan.

If what you have does not include the remote oil filter setup, then put one in......now.