2018 Expedition Platinum Engine Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinconmike

Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 Expedition with 58,000 miles. We bring it in to service to the local Ford dealer and get the "Works" around every 5,000 miles. I thought they check the engine air filter and being close to 60K miles I looked at the paperwork and they did not check or replace it on this service. I called the dealer and it turns out that is not part of the Works at this dealer. I asked when was the last time they changed it and the Dealer looked in their system and said they last replaced at 25K miles. However, I looked back at all the receipts and looks like they checked at 25K miles but not replaced. Same with the cabin air filter.

So the filter may have not been replaced yet. I went ahead and ordered one and replaced it this morning. Old one was dirty.

The few times I drive it the engine sounds ok. I asked my wife if she has heard anything and she said for the last few months when she pulls out of the driveway in the morning sometimes she feels like the engine loses power for a brief second and then all is ok. She is not sure how many times this happened. It is not every time and could be for the last several months (she does not remember). She also remote starts the car in the morning so it is warmed up before heading out.

Not that there is anything I can do now, but do I have anything to worry about with running with the dirty filter. Anything we should be looking for? I did get the 84 month 100K mileage extended warranty so the car is under warranty until 9/2025. We will probably have close to around 80,000 miles on it at that point. Not sure if we want to keep it beyond that or not.

thanks.

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
I've noticed, too, on occasion, that loss of power momentarily after backing out of the driveway shifting into drive. This happens shortly upon forward accelleration. Otherwise, my Expy, which has 100,000 miles on it, drives and shifts smoothly. I have purchased an aftermarket warranty covering the vehicle up to 165,000 miles. I love this car, but my previous Expy was known as the "warranty crusher," since we had to rebuild the engine twice. (Fortunately, I had an aftermarket warranty as well with this vehicle.) As far as your engine filter fiasco, that doesn't surprise me that the stealership missed it with their so-called "works" package. The last time I had the similar service performed with my Taurus, they "forgot" to top off the engine coolant, which was about 8 oz. low. The dealer seems all too quick to upsell some of their other services while neglecting to pay attention to the job at hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett