Removing front plate holder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Ieroncig

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

No need for front plate in my neck of the woods...

Has anyone tried removing front license plate holder?

It appears to riveted on.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is riveted on, but I believe they're plastic. Easy enough to drill out. I tried to order mine without the holder, and the sales manager said he did. But it came with one. They said that for states that require a front plate, the factory overrides the delete code. Funny, because when I ordered it I was told that the holder was installed by the dealer. So, I'm not sure what to believe, but they may have just messed up when they ordered it.

I intend to remove mine. It just has 3 holes. The center hole is the highest and the only one to go through the silver trim piece. The other two are lower and go through the black trim so they wouldn't show much. The silver trim piece is about $130 with installation but is the cleanest way to get rid of the hole. If one could match the paint it seems a plastic hole plug would work okay.

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happy to see others are just as crazy as me. I didn’t see a good way to take it off. So the last few weeks I have been trying to decide what front tag I can committ to. I think it was easier deciding on the ford over the gm products. :)

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy enough to remove, just drill out the rivets. The hard part is to cover the holes.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Push the middle of the plastic rivet through. No drilling necessary! Then get some 1/4 “ tiny hole plugs from Autozone. I used paint pens to color them. Silver and black, matches close enough for tiny dots on the bumper. Plate gone, looks great! I did this the day after I got the truck lol.

AD548349-5EEA-4FDB-843A-64F747D30E7D.jpeg

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone that removed their front plate bracket is just going to toss it in the trash, I’ll email you a shipping label to send it me. The porter got carried away with the cordless screwdriver at our vehicle deliver and one of the screws for the front plate has been for cosmetic purposes only. :(

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone that removed their front plate bracket is just going to toss it in the trash, I’ll email you a shipping label to send it me. The porter got carried away with the cordless screwdriver at our vehicle deliver and one of the screws for the front plate has been for cosmetic purposes only. :(
I gotta keep mine for when I get a fix it ticket and need to put it back temporarily

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking for a "replacement" as I really like to have minimal black holder to keep it from getting warped at the car wash, the little tabs at the top scare me and quite frankly a naked front plate looks silly to me. Any ideas, thoughts on breaking the top tabs and using some short self tapping screws?

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are going to keep a front plate, keep the front plate holder.