Replaced Fuel Pump - Immediate whining noise from Tank and hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcrisman

Reaction score
HI all,

2002 Expedition 5.4L. I just replaced the Fuel Pump with a new Delphi fuel pump assembly. It went relatively smooth with the exception of a couple electrical connectors were difficult to disconnect.

Steps to replace fuel pump.
1. Disconnected battery
2. Disconnect filler neck hose and siphoned out gas.
3. Lowered tank partially and disconnected other hoses and fuel lines and electrical connector.
4. Took the tank out and cleaned outside with a hose.
5. Removed locking ring and took out the fuel pump.
6. Inspected the inside of the tank, it was perfectly clean? Since I did not see debris and the remaining gas was clear in color, I did not clean the inside of the tank.
7. I dropped in the new Delphi Fuel Pump assembly and tightened locking ring.
8. I reconnected all hoses, fuel lines, electrical connections and reattached the tank.
9. Reconnected battery and primed fuel system by turning key on and off 4 times.
10. Expy started right up however I forgot to add gas back into the tank. It started with the little bit of gas that was in the tank (maybe half gallon). I turned off immediately once I realized tank is empty.
11. I added back in 4 gallons that I siphoned out earlier and it started right up. I let it idle for 10 mins.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I stepped out of the Expy while it was idling and I can hear a whining sound coming from the gas tank. I let it run for about 10 minutes before I went on a test drive. As soon as I give it some gas it hesitates and bogs down. I turned it off and restarted and the whining sound continues as does the hesitation when I take it for a drive.

I did NOT replace the fuel filter during the fuel pump replacement. I replaced the fuel filter probably 12-18 months earlier, and I forgot to buy a new filter when I picked up pump.

Is the replacement fuel pump defective?
Did I ruin the new pump by not having enough fuel when I stated the truck?
Is the fuel filter causing this issue?
Steps I missed after replacing Pump?

Please let me know your thoughts....

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May have overheated the new pump or starving fuel since you only put small amount in after install. Fuel cools the pump.
May just be noisy since not much fuel in tank to deafen noise of pump running & echoing in tank.
I would replace the fuel filter tho.

Tommie

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like pump overheated possibly or it was defective, I'd look at fuel pressure and see what its pumping at idle and with a load. Sorry man that sucks. Delphi makes good products too.

OP
OP
J

jcrisman

Reaction score
Update,
I pulled the replacement Delphi Pump that I purchased at Advanced Auto and swapped it for another new pump assembly. I also picked up a new Fuel Filter. Finished the work this afternoon and the Expy runs perfect. The AA employee that I spoke with is ASE certified mechanic, he said sometimes new parts are just bad. I never thought that I would replace 2 fuels pumps in a week.

Riphip and Tommie - I appreciate you comments. I may have overheated the pump due to lack of gas? I didn't forget to add back the gas this time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev