Drop fuel tank using tie downs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 4x4 XLT with a dead fuel pump. Crank no start, all fuses are good. It is parked on our drive way which is at a steep angle. Tank is 2/3 full which likely means a 170 lb tank with fuel moving around. I've tried siphoning out the gas with tubing as small as 1/8" but I just can't get it past the check ball. Mechanic quoted $350 labor so I'm debating whether to attempt lowering the tank by using tie downs or just give up and have it towed to the mechanic. Supposedly the fittings are quite difficult, requiring blind reaching, pushing with fingers, twisting and then pulling. I've successfully replaced blower motors, starters, power window motors, and disk brakes but I've also failed at motor mount installation and failed at replacing drum brakes.

Any actual experience with dropping a fuel tank out of an expedition would be appreciated. I've watched YouTube videos and they all have lifts or managed to get the fuel out.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have it done by a shop. When my 01's fuel pump failed, at 85K it happened at the shop after an oil change. Go figure. So they went ahead and with my Ble$$ing changed it. A few days later I discovered the fuel gauge was way off. Out of gas before the reserve light came on. Back to the shop and it was on them to again change out the new bad pump/sender entirely on their dime.

BoolFighta

Reaction score
I’ve changed mine with about a half a tank maybe a little less I just put a jack under it with a piece of wood to lower it down I will say the fuel filter connections will give you a run for your money and there indeed is a lot of blind reaching also if you go ahead and take your rear sway bar out makes dropping it that much easier

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@BoolFighta Thank you for your reply. Did you replace the fuel pump with a Motorcraft or something else? I"m leaning towards a Delphi from Rockauto. It is $50 more than the cheapest from 1A Auto and $100 less than Motorcraft. I'm less than impressed with the OEM dying at 110K.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did mine but the tank was empty, used a transmission jack, but an ATV jack, or regular jack with wood to support it would work. Get a cheap craigslist or harbor freight jack.

I would strongly advise against trying to use straps as I don't think that would be safe or even possible.

I went with a Motorcraft from Lakeland ford as they had the best price. Buy once, cry once, this is not an easily changed external part.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2011, I loosened the bands to let the tank sag a bit, then removed the fill hose and siphoned it from that opening. I got all but maybe 2 gallons. A caution about using a floor jack; if there's fuel in the tank, it can easily shift causing a loss of balance and dropped tank. The top fittings weren't that bad, but I strongly suggest looking online for pics so that you have an idea what you are feeling when in there. My issue was a sunk gauge float. Guess the vehicle wasn't as ethanol ready as they claimed. 2019-10-20-Fuel-Sender-Change.jpg

rslynes

Reaction score
With an ATV jack or transmission jack (with the tank strapped to those for safety), it can be done. The tank, especially filled as you say, will be extremely unstable as it is longer than most and any fuel sloshing around will amplify that. Getting all the hoses and electrical connections disconnected and reconnected at the top of the tank is pretty 'fiddly', too.

The $350 for someone else with the supports and tools to do it is money well spent, in my opinion.

MJ2010

Reaction score
I replaced my fuel pump/sending unit with a Delphi two years ago. Works just fine so for. But it is more noisy than the original. From inside the vehicle you sitting at idle I can hear it, but someone who doesn't know what to listen for probably wouldn't notice it.

Using ratchet straps might help keep the tank from moving to much from fuel slosh, by lowering the straps a little, then lowering the jack a little, and repeating. That assumes one could get the straps around the frame in a way to support the tank, without interfering with wires and hoses. Or use two jacks one in front and one in rear. The tank is so long it's hard to balance from the center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire