Returning member - need affirmation and encouragement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I’m back! Had an ‘04 that I loved, but it was worn out and rusty and high mileage and I thought it was time to replace it.

So this time - being a glutton as I am - I bought an ‘11 with 172k on the clock, but a 30k reman engine that was installed by the Ford dealership. The body is immaculate, and I absolutely love it.

But I keep coming on here and reading all of the 3V VCT / timing chain / cam follower horror stories and I’m petrified that I’ve made the wrong choice. I’m hoping a reman engine put in in 2020 also contained some improvements in all of those problematic areas.

So I need you guys to encourage me - or bring me down to reality, whichever you think is appropriate - that buying a rig with 172k on the rest of the car and drivetrain, but 30k on the motor will still provide me with many years and miles of dependable use. I do my own maintenance and change oil no more than 3k usually. I also don‘t use it to pull anything, etc., and am not a hard driver, so I have high hopes.

Let me know what you think! I’m glad to be back!

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Might go to the Gen 3 forum and ask specifically about switching to the 5w30 on the motor with 30k on it. Does age or wear factor into that switch? or in theory, should folks have switched to 5w30 at the first oil change?

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, those of you with a crystal ball: How many miles you think this might be good for given the new engine, assuming I change oil every 2500 miles and take impeccable care of it? 250? 300? This is the logic upon which my decision to purchase this rig was predicated. The only failures I hear about are engine, but seldom transmission, ECU, differentials, transfer case, etc. Am I right, or am I basically driving a 172k mile vehicle?

Marylyn

Reaction score
Holy moly. I change full synthetic every 4 to 5000 miles and my engine failed at 106,000 miles. I bought it at a Ford dealer with 76,000 miles. Had plugs and coils changed at 104,000 miles because the Ford dealer claimed that was why the truck was bucking on the highway. That did help until it didn't suddenly. This is my third Expy. This is my fourth 5.4L engine... I had a Ford van before this. Non synthetic oil I changed at 3000 miles. My first Expy lasted to 189,000 miles needing a gas tank replacement before a bear ran into it and totalled it. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have bought THIS truck. I love it but Ford is dragging it's heels on diagnosis and I'm without wheels for almost two weeks now... and they haven't even planned a tear down yet.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I feel with you Marylyn, we (the family) bought a 2019 Max Platinum and a 2019 Platinum Exp. in June with 90k and 63k KM on the clock. The max. came back from dealer yesterday after a 11500 CAD drivetrain repair, we bought these as our F150 (high end) never had any problems, but forgot that the F150 is leased and goes back every 2 years.