Road trip around the country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bones

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from a 33 day road trip in our 2018 Expedition 4x4 Max. We traveled from Seattle to Texas, Atlantic Beach, North Carolina, Richmond, Indiana and back to Seattle.

Highlights:

8,360 total miles on the trip in the most comfortable SUV for road trips in my opinion.

Speed limit of 80 mph in some states.

Averaged 21.5 mpg on 87 octane Top Tier fuel in Eco mode (we were packed heavy)

Adaptive Cruise Control was used which reduced my fatigue.

Oil change at Wetzel Ford in Richmond, Indiana which only cost $32.00 (The dealer in Kirkland, WA charges me $59.)

Driving on the Gulf of Mexico beach in Surfside Texas with the “sand” mode activated.

The ability to have family sitting comfortably in the third row seat and being able to hold conversations because of how quiet the interior is.

Lowlights:

The highest gas price for regular was in Seattle- $3.69.

In Wyoming both going and coming we had snow in the 23 degree, 40 mph headwinds with the 4x4 activated.

The Expy was clean when I left but much of our travels were in rain so it got dirty and remained that way until it was washed in Indiana but of course it rained a couple days after that.

Tried to get an all-wheel alignment at Firestone in Lake Jackson, Texas but they said their equipment hasn’t been updated for my fancy Expy. They said only about half of the Firestone stores nationwide have been updated.

Final thoughts:

Purchased the Expy new in Sterling Virginia March 30, 2018 with 2 miles on it. Now four road trips later we have 33,500 miles and still enjoying the comfort.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You seem to be an avid roadtripper... Ever try the 48 state run road trip? You can do it with about the same miles, +1-2k for scenic route

Btw, damn, Seattle gas = STILL cheap vs. SoCal (local low-cost station peaked at 4.16 a couple weeks back, currently like 4.05 or something)

PS impressive MPGs

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dang Bones.....nice round trip. Only thing I hate is that you went from NC through to VA instead of getting on I40 West in NC and checking out the Great Smokey Mountains National Park then on to Nashville and Memphis. Unless you guys had already saw those places on one of the other trips you took.......one other thing, did you sleep in tents, camper, Expy or hotel/motel or other?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is yours a tow pack Expedition? I'm wondering what gears you have to compare my milage....
Tow pack would have the stupid trailer back up knob on the dash.
Thats awesome milage on a complete average on 87 octane! :)

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from a 33 day road trip in our 2018 Expedition 4x4 Max. We traveled from Seattle to Texas, Atlantic Beach, North Carolina, Richmond, Indiana and back to Seattle.

Highlights:

8,360 total miles on the trip in the most comfortable SUV for road trips in my opinion.

Speed limit of 80 mph in some states.

Averaged 21.5 mpg on 87 octane Top Tier fuel in Eco mode (we were packed heavy)

Adaptive Cruise Control was used which reduced my fatigue.

Oil change at Wetzel Ford in Richmond, Indiana which only cost $32.00 (The dealer in Kirkland, WA charges me $59.)

Driving on the Gulf of Mexico beach in Surfside Texas with the “sand” mode activated.

The ability to have family sitting comfortably in the third row seat and being able to hold conversations because of how quiet the interior is.

Lowlights:

The highest gas price for regular was in Seattle- $3.69.

In Wyoming both going and coming we had snow in the 23 degree, 40 mph headwinds with the 4x4 activated.

The Expy was clean when I left but much of our travels were in rain so it got dirty and remained that way until it was washed in Indiana but of course it rained a couple days after that.

Tried to get an all-wheel alignment at Firestone in Lake Jackson, Texas but they said their equipment hasn’t been updated for my fancy Expy. They said only about half of the Firestone stores nationwide have been updated.

Final thoughts:

Purchased the Expy new in Sterling Virginia March 30, 2018 with 2 miles on it. Now four road trips later we have 33,500 miles and still enjoying the comfort.
Wow that sounds like a killer road trip! Snow included lol

Did you do anything off pavement? We got our Navi for touring on and off pavement and have done a fair amount of forest service road driving but nothing much crazier than that. We are looking at some overland trailer options now and curious how a truck this large would do towing 4000lbs in less than ideal road conditions.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Reaction score
This trip's focus was to spend time with family. We stayed in hotels in all locations except for Indiana where family had room for us. One of these days we will add sightseeing in the mix. My Expy doesn't have the tow package. We didn't do any off pavement driving other than the sandy beach.

On another note we still didn't see very many 4th generation Expys on the highways and byways. Maybe everyone is waiting for summer travels. If you are one of those, enjoy and drive safely!

OP
OP
B

Bones

Reaction score
Hey Sgt Darkness we have toured the Great Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and Knoxville. The Great Smokys are some of my wife's favorite mountains. One of these years we will do the fall colors route while touring Memphis and Nashville.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey bones, is your truck a platinum model or limited model?

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Bones.....Good deal. Glad you all enjoyed some of my stomping grounds. I did somewhat enjoy your state when I did survival training at McCoard AFB. Actually I was friggin lost in what had to be the biggest land mass in North America. Made it out after several weeks of crying, moaning, bleeding and cussing. I said I would never go back there but after 45 years I would really like to see more of your great state, but I’ll be in a hotel this time....lol

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We need at least one picture or this trip never happened...haa...glad it was a good one.