Road trip prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking I’m going to take the old girl down with me to Florida in early May for vacation. Buffalo to Florida about 18 hours. What do you recommend I check before I go? Last year I did the oil pump, chain guides, tensioners, and torque converter. Would you replace the roller rockers before putting on that kind of mileage? That’s one of my big worries. Thinking I should do the rear brakes since they are looking thin.

6 of us going and everyone is voting mine to be the second vehicle since it can fit everyone luggage behind 2nd row lol.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking I’m going to take the old girl down with me to Florida in early May for vacation. Buffalo to Florida about 18 hours. What do you recommend I check before I go? Last year I did the oil pump, chain guides, tensioners, and torque converter. Would you replace the roller rockers before putting on that kind of mileage? That’s one of my big worries. Thinking I should do the rear brakes since they are looking thin.

6 of us going and everyone is voting mine to be the second vehicle since it can fit everyone luggage behind 2nd row lol.
Do you have a particular reason to be concerned about the cam followers? Unless you've had an oil issue of some kind I don't think there's any reason to expect them to go bad. Maybe do an inspection to see if there's any unusual wear and proceed accordingly?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To that point nothing that seems out of place just that I didn’t do them so it got my mind turning. I did the front brakes last year but the rears I have yet to do...they are looking ready. Don Hall noted on AAA etc. thanks folks.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I’ve driven my 1st gen from Chicago to Florida and back 4-5 year. Some trips were 24 hours.

Make sure you bring oil to keep it topped off and that your spare is good w all the necessary tools.

Think about your alternator, battery, radiator coolant, and tires.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the alternator. My truck doesn’t use a drop of oil between its 5,000 mile oil changes so I think I’ll skip that. It does seem like the Ford alternators pick trips like these to die in my experience lol.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basics have been covered, though on the spare make sure it will actually lower. A friend of mine had that issue with his f250. Spare had never been used in the 171k before it was needed. Wouldn't you know, it wouldn't budge an inch.

I'd do an maintenance that would maximize economy...air filter, tires inflated properly...adjust for the weight you'll have if more than typical, give it a quick detail...nothing worse than driving a less than fresh feeling vehicle for an entire day.