Roof Basket Started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JDMitchell,

The racks on my jeep were the same design as the one you posted. Useless you are going to be utilizing the stock roof rack and use a after market crossbar you should be able to walk on that basket. Im about 220 and have been on my old ones with gear. Had 6 kayaks each loaded with gear on there with no issues.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One option for your "floor" is expanded steel. Maybe add a couple cross supports to help with the span and it should be solid, yet light.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats expanded steel?

Someone mentioned to me....stainless steel industrial kitchen rack shelving, just dont know where Id find that cheap!

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One option for your "floor" is expanded steel. Maybe add a couple cross supports to help with the span and it should be solid, yet light.

That is the first thing I thought of when you asked about flooring. You can check it out at your local Lowe's or Home Depot as well. They carry it. It may be smaller pieces than what you need, but you can get an idea and see if that is what you want.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like it will be built to withstand about anything, but what about the rack that you are attaching it to? I read somewhere that the load limit of the stock roof rack was 150 lbs. Maybe I'm wrong, but your rack by itself will be pushing that from the looks of it. I am going to buy a rack like this and also get the 24'' extension that will give me a total of 67''.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0525403640&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HA! Thats exactly what I was looking at and thinking about doing... If you get them, you'll have to tell me what you think of them. I'm still trying to sell myself on not being able to fit in the garage if I get a roof rack.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still trying to sell myself on not being able to fit in the garage if I get a roof rack.

Yup that sucks! But try fitting out after you put lift on!! Im glad the tires deflated the 3" to get out.

Near future plan's are to lift the garage door opening about a foot and add another panel on the door , raising the door opener motor and tracks.

Im rethinking the basket. Maybe lose a crossbar or two and build them into the basket for floor support. And or maybe lowing the whole thing down removing all crossbars and making a mounting system to mount right to the tracks as low as I can get to the roof. Or screw the basket and sell it. Idk

securedownloaddf.jpg
securedownloadmklk.jpg

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HA! Thats exactly what I was looking at and thinking about doing... If you get them, you'll have to tell me what you think of them. I'm still trying to sell myself on not being able to fit in the garage if I get a roof rack.

I should have it this week, I will post some pics once I get time to put it on. I don't worry about my expy being in the garage, that is where my wife parks the CX-9 and my motorcycle and all the tools takes up the other side.