Roof rack cross bars - torx bit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
Our '20 MAX came with the factory cross rails and is states in the manual that there should have been a Torx bit included. Any idea on where they hide that thing?

on another note, I just bought a Thule Motion XT XL roof box, and the standard cross rail positions are no good for it. In the maximum configuration (1st & 3rd) the clamps wont reach, therefore you need to move the 3rd position into the 2nd which does not allow for proper weight distribution on a box that size. Luckily I still have a set of Thule Aero Bars that I can affix, but need to remove the factory ones first.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a bit disappointed with the 'fixed' locations of the crossbars, also.

The torx bit that I got was actually one of those cheap disposable bent bits of metal with a torx on each end. It works fine, but easy to loose - might be buried in the recesses of the center console or either glove box?. If yours came with the bars mounted, then I expect it was fitted using a proper torx wrench and the bit thrown away with the box the bars came in.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s why I didn’t buy a Thule. I got the Yakima Skybox. Its maximum span reaches the rear rail in its factory position.

It’s also made in the USA.

DE37D8F7-FD2C-4B24-8C1B-9F79B1A245A1.jpeg
CE4DB0CF-9F21-49E1-9AE9-FC1710ADEDBF.jpeg

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Did Ford offer cross bars as a factory option? Are they available post? I've seen some examples on Ebay that look pretty good, but don't know what I'm looking at

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I have a Max with the exact Yakima box. I also have a shorter box the I used for quick beach trips, and I simply added a third cross bar to mine had have had no issues. Normally you leave the rear bar and move the front, so I just bought an addition front and left it mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 31

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The crossbars were not standard with the Platinum on my 2018. They are part of the cargo package. My 2018 didn't have that option so I purchased the OE cross bars separately. I received a Torx driver with my bars. However, the screws and torx driver are trash. I take my bars on and off often and almost immediately some screws were stripped. The provided Torx driver is terrible to get any leverage off (so small and thin), so you will need to use your own. In my case, I literally had to cut one of the screws off with a welding torch. I replaced the screws with ones that were beefier. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Max with the exact Yakima box. I also have a shorter box the I used for quick beach trips, and I simply added a third cross bar to mine had have had no issues. Normally you leave the rear bar and move the front, so I just bought an addition front and left it mounted.

Not a bad idea that... does the extra middle crossbar interfere with the Yakima Skybox? I imagine it actually lends extra passive support.