Rooftop Tent for 2 adults 2 kids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At first. But then I added a wind deflector for my sunroof and it went away.

It does come with its own deflector, but when used as intended, it would deflect the wind right into the sunroof.

If you have a sunroof and don’t want to mess with that, get a less long rack.

bluerooster02

Reaction score
How big are the kids? I'm running a Free Spirit Recreation High Country 80 on a rack on the back of my F150 for myself, my wife, and twin 3 year olds, and it's plenty of room. My brother-in-law is running the 23Zero Walkabout 87 for himself, wife, 14yo and 5yo.

I haven't tried to mount it on the Expy, simply because we have the truck.

PXL_20201221_214925968.PORTRAIT.jpg

Cterrebl

Reaction score
@ExplorerTom Thanks so much for the info and picture! One other question if you don't mind - how much weight do you guess you've had up on your roof? I'm looking to put a rooftop tent up there - gotta believe that it'll hold a 175 lb tent and a couple people. The manual says that the stock rack only holds 200 lbs though

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I believe the 200 lbs is a dynamic rating. Statically, a tent with people inside of it is different.

I haven’t had that much weight up there. I’ve sat on it (240 lbs). I have a ground tent and have had 20 gallons of gas up there.

I’m in an overlanding group and people have RTTs on all sorts of rigs. I know someone with a 1st gen and a RTT.

You’ll be fine as long as you don’t drive down the highway with the RTT full of people and hit the brakes really hard.

Cterrebl

Reaction score
@ExplorerTom Hey one more question for you - it looks like you secured your Eezi Awn rails at more connection points than what I'll have when I remove the factory rails. Did you screw into the roof?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@ExplorerTom Hey one more question for you - it looks like you secured your Eezi Awn rails at more connection points than what I'll have when I remove the factory rails. Did you screw into the roof?

Nope. Transferred the holes to the rail from the factory rack. I want to say it’s secured via 5 screws on each side- but I could be mistaken. No new holes thru the roof.

Cterrebl

Reaction score
@ExplorerTom Thanks for your help on this. I don't think I'd have the confidence to buy a $1400 rack system without knowing it had been done before! Very happy with the Eezi-Awn - it's really solid. I feel a lot better about putting an RTT up there now.

I put the RTT on Yakima bars with the factory rails for one night and while it did seem ok I wouldn't trust it for the trip I'm taking out west in a few weeks.

The only problem I had with installing the Eezi- Awn is one of the bolts holding the factory rack down was seized on the rivnut. Had to remove it and install a jacknut in it's place. Other than that it was pretty smooth. Thanks again!

Attachments

• PXL_20210711_124647672.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210711_124647672.MP.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20210711_124639596.jpg
    PXL_20210711_124639596.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member