Rough Idle When Truck Is Warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosendo

Reaction score
Okay so I'm having a problem figuring out what is wrong with my truck. I have a 98' expedition 5.4 engine. The truck started idling a little rough a few weeks ago and then the check engine light came on. Now it starts up beautifully and runs fine when its cold but as soon as the engine warms up it idles rough and dies at every stop light unless I put my foot on the gas to keep it on. We replaced the IAC valve and that didn't fix anything. I took it to autozone and they read the codes and it came out as P1071 and P1072. I'm not sure where to go from here. The guy at autozone told me to replace my fuel filter but I'm just not seeing that as my problem. Any suggestions?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
check for a vacuume leak mabey in the PCV system

Robert Paulson

Reaction score
got the same codes here. they're "bank 1 lean" and "bank 2 lean". i've done some research online, and found it's most likely the MAF sensor, or the o2 sensors. i doubt it's the o2's if both banks are running lean and throwing a code---the probability of them going at the same time pretty much rules it out.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB982310MassAirFlowContamination.htm

take a look at that article. has some good info.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Check for a vaccume leak first . What the puter is doing is sencing unmeterd air then go after the mass air flow