Rough idle stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatchdad90

Reaction score
Just bought a 2014 limited expedition drove fine during test drive and for 24 hrs afterwards. The next day started rumbling and shaking like a cam phaser issue (killed my 09 I had) no rattle. Scanned the codes came back cam sensor issues (p0015,p0025,p0365,p00369) . Replaced the sensor topped off oil 2 Quarts low and replaced battery. Afterthing I did just made it worse stalls out at stops now. And got two more codes for the sensors on the other bank now. Not a Mechanic and can't afford to have a cam phaser job done at the moment. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never worked on a 5.4 3-valve so maybe someone with more experience will respond as well. As a good place to start I would suggest looking for an oil leak and see if maybe there's a connector soaked in oil. Then disconnect the battery and check, maybe even reseat, all the connectors from the cam sensors and crank sensor to the PCM. Check for loose connectors, broken retainers, loose individual wires and corrosion.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on it ? Did you get any service records or a Carfax with it ? You could still go back and talk to them and maybe trade it for something else? Otherwise you're pretty screwed. It's nothing cheap to fix. What oil did you put in it? If you put 5w-20 in it and then it got worse, I'd say drain the oil and put 10w-40 in it. That's probably your best shot if you can't afford a timing chain / phasers or a new motor.

Pdipaolo

Reaction score
Had a similar situation with my 2016 expy, did just about everything I could think of till I got to PCV that was clogged. I would replace that if not already then invest in a good catch can to stop all that garbage from getting to your intake

pratik

Reaction score
Unfortunately bought it from a mom and pop dealer with a as is warranty. Can't do anything about it.
One of the 3V springs broke in Cylinder 3 within a month of purchase from a mom-and-pop dealer from out of town with as is warranty (similar to your purchase). I have been communicative with the dealer since the purchase and already put good Google reviews for them. I contacted them with the issue, requested if there is anything they can help with. They have been kind enough to refund me 2k to partly cover the engine swap expenses.

If you put 5w-20 in it and then it got worse, I'd say drain the oil and put 10w-40 in it. That's probably your best shot if you can't afford a timing chain / phasers or a new motor.
I would NOT put 10w-40 in it. I have a feeling that even 5w-30 is too thick to pass through the tiny piping/injectors within the Triton 3V engine (Fordtechmaculoco seems fine with 5w-30). I would stick with 5w-20 - use high mileage version. My replacement engine that was rebuilt had cam-phaser issues, which got corrected with timing chain replacement, but the oil pump apparently died also which deprived the engine of oil (5w-30 at that time) and killed the engine. I am now on third engine (with 65k on it) - it drives good, but has wonky way of starting the engine when I turn the key!