RPM/Throttle blip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helo driver

Reaction score
Going down a steep road, I downshift to 3rd, about 35 mph. The engine rpm’s bump up 75 to 100 rpm every 2 to 3 seconds, just like if you tapped the throttle. This only happens in 3rd gear. Kinda defeats the purpose of downshifting! Anyone else experience this?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Suv. Going downhill is going to raise the Rpm some. It's possible you've got a problem with the throttle body. What codes come up on a scanner?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Helo driver

Helo driver

Reaction score
2017..no codes. This happens when I use the thumb switch to downshift. I just tried putting it in manual position and it held the rpm. Weird...

T Money

Reaction score
I just experienced this with my 2016 expy. I had to ride the brakes down the mountain to avoid this. My rpm surges were more like 300!

OP
OP
Helo driver

Helo driver

Reaction score
It’s a bit disconcerting for sure! Local dealership doesn’t have an answer for it either. I guess it’s an issue with the ECM? Who knows.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How bout pulling the battery cable, and let the computer try to reset the parameters. Couldn't hurt!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk