Rust!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobalt46

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer edition 5.4 L. Loaded. Green with tan interior. The first thing I noticed was rust stains on the driver side running board. The rocker panel is now gone. I could have treated it earlier if I had removed the running board which blocks it. I've replaced the rear control arms which were rusted out. About everything else underneath is rusted to some extent.
I'm waiting for the radiator to fall out.
Anyway, I've been getting underneath with primer, paint and other stuff. My big concern now is the shock towers. I had the defective air suspension replaced with regular stuff but want to treat the inside of the shock towers. Is that possible? Can I reach them to fight the rust that is surely there. Any help?

Plati

Reaction score
My opinion is probably worth the paper its printed on, and it aint printed on any! My experience is once the rust gets that far .. its too late. You have to pre-empt its development. Paint would just cover it and give it a party palace. Having said that I've taken to spraying an oil based anti corrosion product on parts that are rusted bad but I want to extend as far as I can. I assume I'll have to do this on a regular basis. One example is the gas fill tube. Another is the shock towers. Also brake lines & the part of the frame exposed when rocker panels are bye bye.

Sorry if I answered a question you didnt ask, I'm a BAD MAN

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with MrSticker spray oil based products on said rusted parts to slow the oxidation process, it does work but you must do it a few times per year. You can’t rebuilt corroded parts you can either replace or slow the rust down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65