Safe to drive to mechanic or need a tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

an_architect

Reaction score
Hello,

Our 2013 Expedition EL 4WD Limited, with about 65,000 miles is acting up. We purchased the car from a Cadillac dealership about 8 months ago so I don’t know the long term history.

I know we have a slow power steering leak which put a visit to the mechanic on the to do list but I’ve been keeping it at appropriate levels with universal power steering fluid (not the fix a leak kind that mess things up). This has been for the past couple of weeks. It’s my wife’s vehicle and with 4 kids makes scheduling car down time difficult.

Today, something odd started happening, when starting to accelerate from a stop the truck seems to not want to shift gears and revs up like doesn’t want to come out of first. I let of the gas and eventually it shifts. Happened a few times in a row and the last time I heard and felt like a clunk, checking to rear view mirror to see if something dropped off the truck. At that point the service wrench came on and the digital read out said “zero miles till empty, though the needle is at a 1/4 tank (I know there is a 1/4 tank left).

I was around the corner from my house so I pulled in, turned it off and then back on and everything read as normal. Obviously something is going on, I just don’t know if it’s something so severe that I need to call a tow in the morning or if I can drive it the 10 miles or so to a mechanic in the morning.

Thanks for any input as to if this sounds familiar and if so how severe the situation might be.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Our 2013 Expedition EL 4WD Limited, with about 65,000 miles is acting up. We purchased the car from a Cadillac dealership about 8 months ago so I don’t know the long term history.

I know we have a slow power steering leak which put a visit to the mechanic on the to do list but I’ve been keeping it at appropriate levels with universal power steering fluid (not the fix a leak kind that mess things up). This has been for the past couple of weeks. It’s my wife’s vehicle and with 4 kids makes scheduling car down time difficult.

Today, something odd started happening, when starting to accelerate from a stop the truck seems to not want to shift gears and revs up like doesn’t want to come out of first. I let of the gas and eventually it shifts. Happened a few times in a row and the last time I heard and felt like a clunk, checking to rear view mirror to see if something dropped off the truck. At that point the service wrench came on and the digital read out said “zero miles till empty, though the needle is at a 1/4 tank (I know there is a 1/4 tank left).

I was around the corner from my house so I pulled in, turned it off and then back on and everything read as normal. Obviously something is going on, I just don’t know if it’s something so severe that I need to call a tow in the morning or if I can drive it the 10 miles or so to a mechanic in the morning.

Thanks for any input as to if this sounds familiar and if so how severe the situation might be.

Does it do it all the time now, or just that one time?

OP
OP
A

an_architect

Reaction score
It’s not every time I accelerate from a stop but my wife said the not shifting to the next gear has been happening to her. I just test the car down the street and it happened once one direction but normal other times. Something with the transmission seems to be going on.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you're good to drive it to the dealer.

How many miles are on it?

Something you can do right now is reset the PCM by disconnecting the positive battery cable and let it sit for ~30 mins. The wrench light and the false fuel remaining coupled with shift problems seem to indicate a computer issue. The wrench light indicates power train issues, not necessarily drive train issues, and those are not related to fuel quantity in any way. All 3 of these happening simultaneously tells me none of them are the issue, they are symptoms.

OP
OP
A

an_architect

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts/comments. I feel like I’ll be good to get it to the repair shop in the morning. It’s certainly beyond my ability to address.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I just had my 2013 in the dealer for oil change, etc. They said they had to do something to the tranny because in some cases it would downshift all the way to first (at high speeds). Not sure if it’s related to your shifting issue, but there sounds like there is a service bulletin out there for you to ask about.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Check for a loose battery cable. The transmission can act up, when battery is disconnected. Its in the manual.