Seafoam -- How to use it properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy

Reaction score
How many miles do you typically put on your ride during a week? I let the Seafoam work for 7 - 10 days before changing the oil & filter. I wanted to let it have the chance to work in breaking loose all of the stuff that may have accumulated. When I changed the oil, I did not see any solids or clumps of goo - the oil was black. I'll probably change the oil & filter again in a month to make sure that all the stuff that the Seafoam loosened leaves the engine with the next oil change. Keep in mind that running the cleaner in your fuel tank will also be loosening deposits in the cylinders/pistons/valves too.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just seafoamed the truck, i used 2 cans on the vacuum booster line the 1st can i just ran right threw the engine and didnt let it work for the 5-45 min like it says too, then i put another can threw it and waited 15 min and got alot of smoke. i poured half a can in the oil and 2 in the gas since it was empty and i just filler it up since it is a can to 16 gallons well we will see what happens to the fuel milage in a few weekes and i am going to change the oil this weekend and i run moble 1 synthatic in it 10w30

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to sticky this post lots of good info here....Larry

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well guys i really havent changed anything at all since seafoaming the truck and i am getting almost 2 miles per gallon better on my fuel milage was getting 12.2 and got 14.5 last nigth when i filled it up

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt this this weekend. So should i just put half the can in through my brake booster line and half into the gas tank? or should i use the other half through the engine? Has anyone had any problems with using this stuff? and has anyone else used the tranny sea foam?

Toddski

Reaction score
Originally posted by mjstef
Is it worthwhile on an 05 with 52K on the ticker????

Yep!
I too just purchased an '05. I'm gonna seafoam it here soon.
My daily driver is a '91 Toyota 4runner. I have 266,000 miles on the original motor. I seafoam it each oil change. Still getting 19 mpg in the city with oversized tires.
My '05 is averaging 16.3 mpg right now. Wife's daily driver. Hope it bumps up a bit after the seafoam.

gateman

Reaction score
I use it on a regular basis on my 01 as I did with my 95 F250. This stuff works great. I think though now that I have foamed the expy about 4 times I need to do a plug change.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with fouling plugs when using this? On the Dodge Forums (I drive a Ram as well as the EXPED) they suggest changing your plugs after the first time you run it through the brake booster. When I did my RAM, it didn't even smoke at first when I started it back up. I let it idle for almost 10 minutes with no smoke, so I hopped in to go for a drive. I put it in reverse to get out of the driveway and when I looked behind me, I couldn't see anything past the tailgate. My wife didn't know what I was doing and came running out when she saw the large cloud of smoke billowing across the yard.

I also used it on the first oil change and chunks were coming out of the drain hole.

There is a down side tho. I used it on my wife's 97 GMC Jimmy in the oil. Shortly after I changed the oil, we had an electrical problem and the truck kept stalling (not due to the seafoam). We had another vehicle so we let the Jimmy sit while I tried to troubleshoot the stalling problem. It sat for 6 or 8 months due to busy schedule, cold weather, and lack of a garage.

When I finally got it fixed (bad ignition box) it ran for 2 days them it started puking oil everywhere. It turns out the pressure relief valve in the oil pump got clogged with the oil sludge and was building too much pressure and blowing the O ring out of the filter. Once we had a couple warm days, we started it up to move it, and it didn't pop the filter off. So I guess the warm weather loosened the gunk enough to let the valve work again. Dodged a big bullet there. The motor has to be pulled to access the oil pump.

I don't doubt that letting it sit for so long with the stuff in there is what caused the problem. When we pulled the filter that it sat with, it was half full of dried sludge.