Used 12-17 EL Ltd/Plat vs 18 MAX Ltd - what's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrStuff

Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to buy a 12-17 Expy EL vs an 18 MAX. We are looking primarily at 4WD and Limited/Platinum, but that limits the options considerably when we also control for our budget (want to spend 15-18, but will go to 25ish if worth it). I might be being stubborn on the 4WD as we won't use it that much but I don't really want to spend a car to haul all the people and the things that is then limited in where I'm willing to take it. Our other car is a '14 AWD Odyssey but I don't want that to be the better option if we go off-road, camping, go to snow, etc. We would look at XLTs too but a lot of the ones I find that are in the '17 range have that small screen with lots of buttons and I don't like it.

There's an 18 MAX Ltd 4WD for $25k that fits the parameters with 127k mi. Carfax shows Camshaft replaced/repaired at 31k mi and shows it again at 34k. AC Compressor at 70k. Otherwise nothing much of note, other than a "Transmission Checked" in Dec when it appears the car was traded in. Most of the 18s are a few thousand more, but have fewer miles.

2015 EL Platinum with 93k miles for $21.8. Carfax shows one owner but no records between purchase and 59k miles in 2020, and nothing much since.
2017 EL Platinum with 88k miles for $25.9 but I have to get it shipped. Carfax shows regular maintenance and no major repairs.
2017 EL Limited with 124k miles for $20k. CF shows nothing for first 52k mi, then some maint appts until oil pan drain plug and gasket replaced at 115k with 02 sensor, and then another 02 sensor replacement at 121k.
2012 EL Limited with 167k miles for $11k. A number of battery replacements early in the car life, and some other maintenance items in the CF make me want to stay away, but it's also 10k cheaper.

The 2018 has the most miles of any of these and is the most expensive, so is it worth it? We have 4 kids (8-14yo) and a couple small dogs, will use it probably 6-8k mi/year since I WFH. I like the new tech and the panoramic sunroof looks great but don't know if the $ and mileage is a good tradeoff, esp with expected maintenance in the 5-8yr future. We take a couple 500mi (one-way) trips a year that I would like to mix this car into as well instead of always taking the Ody. This makes me lean newer for the comfort/tech/happiness.

OP
OP
M

MrStuff

Reaction score
I went and test-drove the 2018 and it's a mess. Fine condition but the transmission is in bad shape. Didn't want to shift out of first, lots of nasty clunking, I didn't even know if we'd make it back to the dealer. Frustrated in them because I asked this directly to the sales guy yesterday (it was a 2hr trip one-way to get there) and he said it was driving fine. He either didn't drive it at all or just flat lied, and this was a used car at a nice Audi dealer so I expected better (silly me). He was apologetic but that doesn't mean much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire