set to purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mittsoff

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am going to pull the trigger on a used 2013 Expy max Ltd (32,000km). It is loaded with the air ride and heavy duty tow package, as well as the navigation option package. My wife and I are super excited as we have both loved this unit since it came onto the market. It will be used mostly as a safe, get you there in any weather commuter(70K a day). Its second job will be to pull my 2011 250RS Outback travell trailer(27ft ball to bumper). It weighs about 6000#'s dry and pulls at around 7000#s depending on the adventure at hand. That being said, anyone towing an Rv that is close to the 27footer that I do I would really like to hear any Tips you may have on pulling with the Expy. Thanks

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 26ft Wilderness camper, and let me say the two best improvements to my towing experience were "C" load rated tires and a sway control. Before those two it was white knuckle driving on the expressway. After those two items it was one hand on the wheel and easily towing at 70mph.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ireally don't think you need the heaver ply tires ,but you will need a weight disturbuting hitch that what ford says "when properly equipped" means for towing.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All depends on the RV.
I tow a 24' on a regular basis with no issues at all. My folks have a 25' Komfort that weighs about 7,500lbs that is a complete NIGHTMARE to tow. Even behind my F-250!!! My old man uses a '02 F-250SD and it handles the trailer fairly well. But you never get to relax while you are towing it...
What did you tow your 27' trailer with before? If you used a 1/2ton truck without issue, the Expy will do just as well. As said already, 6ply tires and a load leveling hitch will need to be standard equipment.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My mom's Expy came with P rated tires and drives ok, I'm not too much of a fan of the handling.

Mine too came with P rated, I had to buy new shortly after and opted for D rated Yokohama's, BIG difference in handling and a large decrease in the wiggle in the rear end with a trailer attached. The largest difference I noticed with the new tires other than a more confident ride, was the fact that my truck now feels as though it commands the trailer rather than the other way around.

These trucks are heavy enough and if you're towing somewhat regularly, I wouldn't go any less than D rated, though others may disagree...?

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did you tow your 27' trailer with before? If you used a 1/2ton truck without issue, the Expy will do just as well.

This is a dangerous statement to make. I went from a Crew Cab 1/2 ton Silverado to a Expedition and while the 6 speed is nice (VS 4 speed), towing the EXACT same trailer there is a noticeable difference in the loss of wheelbase (even when compared to my old work EL). Funny enough the Expedition and Silverado are almost identical in weight but the loss of 24" of wheelbase does make a difference. My old company car was a Expedition EL and even the EL makes a noticeable difference in towing ability. While in "theory" ford drops the tow rating for the EL because it does not bump the GCWR up any the EL is a much better rig for towing hands down.

If he has a standard length expedition I would highly advise looking at an EL. Looking back now I never figured that there would be a dramatic difference in towing between a EL and Standard length but there is.