We maxed our Max Limited to the limit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaumSquad

Reaction score
We put our 2021 Max Limited w/HD tow to the test this summer towing more than 2,200 miles from Reno NV to Los Angeles CA to Laughlin NV to Branson MO with temps exceeding 118° at times.

Our trailer was 7,600lbs and the Expy was full with 2 adults, 4 kids, gear and a cat. Scales had us at 15,320lbs, 180lbs shy of the listed GCWR max.

We were prepared for the worst but were beyond impressed at how well it performed. We stayed comfortably @ 60mph for the entirety of the trip and were simply amazed at the power to pull, keep speed up hills and control it coming down hills barely touching the brakes due to the amazing transmission.

I'm not suggesting this for everyone by any means, experience and time table play a big part. We weren't in a hurry so we stopped a lot and knew when to not push it. I also did some minor upgrades to prepare as well.

JB4 tuner + 91 octane fuel
K&N Air Filter
Hellwig Sway Bars front & rear
Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brakes
~plus~
Road Armor Shock-Absorbing Trailer Equalizers

Everything together made a huge difference and we arrived safely with no issues at all except for a black tank problem, but that's for a different thread! :)
20230708_165812.jpg

Last edited:

FryerTime

Reaction score
It's nice and level for sure with no visible sag. How's your tongue weight with the cargo rack in back of the camper? Our 30' Jayco is about the same loaded weight (upgraded to 5200 lb axles) and it tows nicely. Wish I had that longer wheelbase and larger gas tank though. I just need to keep an eye on the drive axle weight in our case.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice setup! Thanks for the first-hand report. I’ve been towing a 3500 lb trailer for about 8 years with my 2014 LTD with tow package rated to tow 9200 lbs. Never a problem. That said, I need to look for a good used later model like yours. I have the dreaded 5.4L, 3V Triton V-8. So far so good.

skamerick

Reaction score
We tow our 35ft Alpha Wolf TT with our 2017 EL 4x4, properly equipped with everything you listed, and it tows like a dream.