Simple Thermostat change turned into headache !!! help ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't believe what anyone says when it comes to previous work done. I just had to fix a bunch of stuff that the previous owner of mine said he'd done. Including plugs and the COPS.

Also take the air box and throttle body apart and clean them. Mine was caked with crud and the throttle body was sticking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
yeah, going to have all the COPs done soon as well as the plugs...

my update for this morning is I took the advice here and replaced the boot on the #5 cylinder head.. $6.95 and the spark plug well did look a little wet, I blew it out with compressed air.... Right now it is running perfectly, I took it to Autozone and the P0125 code is gone, it was only showing the code for the #5 misfire but I was not having any of the symptoms. I asked him to clear the code for me so I could see if it comes back... either way I'm bringing it to the mechanic I used on Monday to double check everything and discuss replacing the COPs and plugs.... I am glad to have my truck running normally again.. praying the light doesnt come back on between now and monday, I have somewhere to be with a bunch of highway driving to do !

B

bedrck46

sounds like you should be in good shape now Keep us posted

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
thanks man, I wasnt sure if I should replace the COP but the boot was just fine, it was a bit corroded anyway on the one end... I was going to put about $900 into having the front end rebuilt because of all the squeaking it does... but now I think I'm going to wait on that and spend the money on the tuneup. I know that it is expensive on these trucks

B

bedrck46

I take it that you don't or can't do your own work. when your ready to get parts for the front end let me know as I know of a good seller on e-bay deals with Moog parts or you can check Rock Auto

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
I dont do my own work for the most part, but it depends.. small easy to get to things are my cup of tea.. I dont have a driveway or a comfortable place to do work, I park in the street. I own basic tools, granted auto parts stores have loan out programs, when it comes to major work like front end stuff I'd rather have peace of mind and guaranteed work... I do like to save money when and where I can.. but I dont mind paying someone who is way better at this stuff than me :)

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
I just took a nice cruise with the kids for about 2 hours, truck is running real good.. but something still just feels slightly off.. I cant put my finger on it exactly ...Problem is, it could be back to " normal " and I'm now scrutinizing the " normal " lol ... I guess I feel like there is a vibration at ide at stoplights that wasnt there originally, That said it has been about 2 weeks where I was driving around with the engine not getting to proper temperature... Either way, plenty of power, no hesitation, no check engine light.. I think I'm doing well... a tuneup is in order tho ...

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
Do you recommend replacing the all of COPs or just the boots and plugs?
Any online sites where I can get good COPs if thats what you recommend?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My school of thought is that everything has a lifespan. If those cops are original & since you have to remove them anyway for a plug change, I would replace them with name brand components. I also believe in Murphys Law, if you don't put one or two of your old cops in the console the new ones will fail. Put them in and the new ones will last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr