Sink a lot into my 03......or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jump6pack

Reaction score
Okay, I have a 2003 EB 4x2 that I have had since 2006 and 30k miles. It now has 160k and is a really good truck. The truck runs fine and around town I get about 14 mpg. I have a family so it is the primary family/trip mobile, I drive it to work and back (when not overseas), wife has an Edge, but only seats 5 (need 6 for everyone). I am in Afghanistan for a year and looking at a couple of options since I have some extra funds available.

Option 1 - sell the Expy and get an or newer Expy EL to use as family/trip mobile (also haul trailer for dirtbikes and quads) that has fewer miles.

Option 2 - To make it fully dependable (raise my confidence in), do the following:

reman 5.4
new trans and torque converter
replace cat and exhaust
replace AC compressor (works, but temp fluctuates and starting to make noise)
replace shocks, struts and coils
replace tires (factory Ford 20s from an FX2)

I guess my main question is, is it worth it to put about 7-10k into this truck. I like the truck but is it worth it to put that much into it or should I just look for a newer one with the 7-10k and the selling price of the 03?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Okay, I have a 2003 EB 4x2 that I have had since 2006 and 30k miles. It now has 160k and is a really good truck. The truck runs fine and around town I get about 14 mpg. I have a family so it is the primary family/trip mobile, I drive it to work and back (when not overseas), wife has an Edge, but only seats 5 (need 6 for everyone). I am in Afghanistan for a year and looking at a couple of options since I have some extra funds available.

Option 1 - sell the Expy and get an or newer Expy EL to use as family/trip mobile (also haul trailer for dirtbikes and quads) that has fewer miles.

Option 2 - To make it fully dependable (raise my confidence in), do the following:

reman 5.4
new trans and torque converter
replace cat and exhaust
replace AC compressor (works, but temp fluctuates and starting to make noise)
replace shocks, struts and coils
replace tires (factory Ford 20s from an FX2)

I guess my main question is, is it worth it to put about 7-10k into this truck. I like the truck but is it worth it to put that much into it or should I just look for a newer one with the 7-10k and the selling price of the 03?

Stock vs stock I would probably sell and get into a newer vehicle.
Its a bad investment to sink that much money into older vehicle. You would never get it back when you sell.

The only reason to do Option 2 would be to modify or customize it too your liking.

I wouldn't recommend the first three items in Option 2 unless you are having issues. Unless you want to "upgrade" with performance oriented parts.

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 to Toms advice...

If you plan to keep the Expy/Expo/Truck/POS/pepe/etc.. as a fixup/hobby thing, knowing it is a money pit.. Do option 2. I personally will keep and get both :)

If you are concern already about trade-in value and want a new car.. Do option 1..

:head3:

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alot come into it...

It can be hard to finance the parts at a low rate (15% on a Credit Card)...

A new EL is more, but alot newer and you can finance it out better (4-6%)

This is the same situation that got me into the Expy to begin with!

OP
OP
J

Jump6pack

Reaction score
If I keep it I will modify it. I have started looking at the following parts:

Motor - reman (still looking for a good reliable builder)
Trans - Monster Trans heavy duty performance with their HD converter
New cols/plugs
Change rear diff fluid
CAI
Replace Cat (magnaflow hi flow?)
Cat-back exhaust (Magnaflow?)
Bilstein struts and shocks
Eibach 1" lowering coils
Eibach front and rear sway bars
Kumho Ecsta STX 275/55R-20

I figure this will help to keep it on the road for quite a few years. Like I stated, it has 160k on it, it runs okay, I have had to change 1 coil so far and changed plugs at about 105k. I will be in Afghanistan until after Thanksgiving so it isn't a thing I have to do right away. Not worried about trade in value, chances are if I get something else, my son (14 now) would inherit it to drive/tow dirtbikes. It runs well, just not too sure/confident about loading it up with a lot of weight and taking the family cross country in it. No signs of quitting (except the AC compressor, temp fluctuates, but works) but I just want to alleviate the worries. Also, with the new motor, a possible Lightning SC could be in the future.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will continue to put money away and as I get closer to winter, make the decision then. A newer one would be nice, but so would this one with a little better performance/handling. Either way it will be a good thing.

Thanks again

Jim
03 Expedition 4x2 Eddie Bauer
07 Edge
01 PT Cruiser
87 XR600R, 00 KLX300R, 06 Trailblazer 250, 05 CR85RB, 91 KTM 250EXC, 07 CRF50, 94 LT50

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This will be long but I just did pretty much what you are contemplating on my '03. I bought it in Nov '07 with 49k (clicked on test drive) and haven't done much maintenance to it. My tuck was approaching 100k back in Jan and was going on a 3.5 hr (one way) road trip to purchase the wife a 2010 Escape Limited. So I brought the truck to my cousin garage for the work.

This started out as chasing a front end rattle:
4 Monroe Struts w/springs
3 wheel hubs (left f/r & rr)
2 Antisway bar bushings
2 Antisway bar end links (source of rattle)
Trans fluid filter and fluid change
New Iridium spark plugs
4 Universal joints
Rear pinion seal and diff fluid change
4 Rotors
Ceramic pads f/r
4 Nokian snowtires.
New battery
Coolant flush and fill @ dealer

Went down to South Jersey bought the wife's Escape and on the return trip home I started feeling a vibration. Checked the tire balance and they were way off where one didn't need any weights at all! Still had the vibration and figured it to be the right front wheel hub since that was not replaced but showed no play in it. So after picking up the wheel hub I'm on my way back to the shop I'm on the highway cruising in the left lane, the vibration all of a sudden made a bang and the truck was shaking violently that I thought the front wheel hub let go and the wheel was about to come off the truck! I get to the shoulder and look at the front wheels expecting it to be at an angle or wedged into the wheelwell but it was fine and pointing straight. It took me 25 minutes to drive off the highway to the garage that was 2 miles away @ 10 miles an hour with the truck shaking a little. Got it on the lift and we find that the spacer between the trans and transfer case cracked in half and cracked the corner off the top of the transmission!

Bought a new transmission from Ford for $1950, came with new torque converter, full of fluid and carries a 3year unlimited mileage nationwide warranty from Ford! I also replaced the transfer case with a used one with 24k miles for $300.
replaced the transmission mount from Napa (Ford discontinued making it)
Next to go in is both engine mounts because I still have a vibration in gear with foot on the brake and while driving but don't have the vibration in neutral or park.

Total spent close to $7500 parts and labor.
I would do it all over again, Love the truck!