Sleeping/storage platform for 3rd Gen Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sneeky Camper

Reaction score
I camp regularly with the Boy Scouts. About half the time I sleep I n my Expedition. Originally in my 2012 standard length and now my 2022 Max. Concur with above that with a 6 inch air mattress there is barely enough headroom to sleep but still not enough to sit up. I leave one middle row seat up for a place to sit to get dressed. Honestly my old Honda Odyssey was MUCH more suited to sleeping.
Thanks for the reply. I should have looked into an Expedition Max or something else, but I want to drive off the beaten path and need something less likely to get stuck (4x4 with a lift). Huge vehicle, but a weird space. OK if you are nimble enough to crawl around but that's it.

2013Tuxedo

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well as I plan on doing exactly as you in my retirement in the near future. I've slept in my 22 Expedition a fair bit just by putting a 6 inch memory foam mattress down. It works pretty well but storage is a bit of an issue. I question whether or not adding a platform would make it not very roomy by the time you add a mattress of some kind. I find even with just my mattress now I JUST have enough headroom... I have considered using a rooftop storage system for my gear but I'm curious to see what others are doing.

View attachment 77686
View attachment 77687

Do you have a link to this canopy or did you make it yourself from various pieces?

Steve5472

Reaction score
Do you have a link to this canopy or did you make it yourself from various pieces?
It's just a 12 x 9.5 tarp that I've draped over the back and secured with varying lengths of bungee cords. It's primitive but gives plenty of coverage from wind/rain and packs up/deploys pretty fast. The two tarp poles I use on the end are super helpful if there are no trees around.

Huggyb1972

Reaction score
Nice setup I was looking at building a pod that slides out under the tailgate when parked, but you gave me another idea.

johnmcarguy

Reaction score
here is my solution: I took out the center (2nd row) seats and left the 3rd row functional. I reworked a metal frame out of a queen size 18" platform bedframe from amazon, with RV mattress on top. I cut it to the right width and length, shortened 4 of 6 legs, and rewelded it all together. I added a maple plywood top, and foam RV mattress on top (they are very comfortable, even for my girlfriend who is much more accustomed to the Ritz Carlton!). I sized it for 11.5" of storage access underneath, which fits our suitcases, camp chairs, camping stove and gear, water & coffee setup, and bike gear. I also added an IceCo fridge which is both 11v and 12v, and keeps the beer at 33 degrees. The roof rack is for a batwing canopy.

Attachments

• exped bed.jpg
    exped bed.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 24
  • exped dirty.jpg
    exped dirty.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 24
  • exped fridge.jpg
    exped fridge.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25

johnmcarguy

Reaction score
here is my solution: I took out the center (2nd row) seats and left the 3rd row functional. I reworked a metal frame out of a queen size 18" platform bedframe from amazon, with RV mattress on top. I cut it to the right width and length, shortened 4 of 6 legs, and rewelded it all together. I added a maple plywood top, and foam RV mattress on top (they are very comfortable, even for my girlfriend who is much more accustomed to the Ritz Carlton!). I sized it for 11.5" of storage access underneath, which fits our suitcases, camp chairs, camping stove and gear, water & coffee setup, and bike gear. I also added an IceCo fridge which is both 11v and 12v, and keeps the beer at 33 degrees. The roof rack is for a batwing canopy.
oh, and I forgot to mention that it was pretty inexpensive. $25 for yard sale frame, and $250 for the fridge. the maple plywood was ridiculous at $90, and the canopy was more expensive but worth it, at around $550. I also added a front receiver hitch to carry more bikes, and I'll add solar panels next.

Huggyb1972

Reaction score
I'm so glad you posted this. I'm in the process of preparing for a baja trip next month and I'm working the angles on how to sleep in the back while on the road for that 2 weeks. Your idea is a simpler solution to my thoughts. I've got the costway version of you refrigerator. I'm looking at adding a 100 watt solar panel to mix with a charge controller to keep the fridge power separate from the truck power. Now that the bumpers are done I get the comfort focus on..

johnmcarguy

Reaction score
Glad it was helpful. I'm very happy with the way the bed turned out and it fits real well in the EL/Max. It's just the right height for looking out the windows while laying down, and plenty of storage underneath. And I can take it out easily if I want to use the 3rd row for passengers.

Huggyb1972

Reaction score
Glad it was helpful. I'm very happy with the way the bed turned out and it fits real well in the EL/Max. It's just the right height for looking out the windows while laying down, and plenty of storage underneath. And I can take it out easily if I want to use the 3rd row for passengers.
Yeah you inspired me to get mine done. 4' banquet tables from menards make excellent slide trays and you have a table also.

Attachments

• 20231022_222455.jpg
    20231022_222455.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231022_222905.jpg
    20231022_222905.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231022_232227.jpg
    20231022_232227.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 17

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd and 3rd rows fold absolutely flat unless you have captain chairs or a middle console (if so, swap to 8 seater configuration).

Just toss an air mattress over it and you should be fine unless you're like 7ft tall.

Get a roof rack or one of those luggage box things for stowing your stuff on top to clear out the back instead.