Slipping Transmission or Ignition Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To the OP, yours sounds like a low grade misfire. I would look at the plugs and coil packs.

To the guy with the 97, I would think that this one is more related to an electrical issue too from what you described. The MLPS (neutral safety switch) comes to mind first and the TPS (throttle position sensor) comes up second. I don't see how fluid issues would be causing what you described. But, stranger things have happened and, of course, I might be misreading what you are trying to describe.

Darrin

Thanks for the thoughts. I am having the tranny flushed so I will see if this takes care of the shifting issue. (This needs done anyways).

Also while talking to the mechanic, with servicing the transmission he told me I will not need to replace the transmission filter.:confused: I asked him why and he explained that there is a one way valve that allows the "dirty" transmission fluid in but not out (the filter traps dirt). With the "machine" hooked up it allows for the valve to be opened, which then allows the filter to be "cleaned", all dirt is flushed out of entire transmission including the filter. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also am on the missfire bandwagon for the OP's issue. My light flashed under heavy acceleration then went away when I let off. It is reversed from your issue, but it can also happen under lighter throttle.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say coilpack...have the dealer tech hook it up to the computer and go for a ride. Once the stumble occurs, it will show on the program which cylinder had a little hiccup indicating a bad coilpack.

I had this happen on my '04 F150 and did the tranny flush first as well at right about the same mileage as yours. The CEL would come on with a P0141, IIRC, lean bank 1. Swapped in a new coilpack and the did the plug while they were in there. Truck ran great after that...

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also while talking to the mechanic, with servicing the transmission he told me I will not need to replace the transmission filter.:confused: I asked him why and he explained that there is a one way valve that allows the "dirty" transmission fluid in but not out (the filter traps dirt). With the "machine" hooked up it allows for the valve to be opened, which then allows the filter to be "cleaned", all dirt is flushed out of entire transmission including the filter. Has anyone ever heard of this?

That is BS. I can cut open a filter and post up pics if I remember.

The only valve like that is for the torque converter to prevent drainback when the engine is shut off. That valve won't do what he is saying.

Darrin

thePUNISHER

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I am having the tranny flushed so I will see if this takes care of the shifting issue. (This needs done anyways).

:eek: my goodness.....

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to a dealer, it may be more expensive initally, but it's worth a little coin knowing guys know how to work on your car.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have contacted 2 of the major Ford dealerships here in PA and asked questions regarding the transmission flush and what it consisted of. Both dealerships confirmed that the transmission flush will replace all 15 some quarts of fluid and dropping the pan and replacing the filter is not needed . "The filter is cleaned by the additives run through the transmission and then replaced with all new fluid. All additives and "gunk" are removed from the system." They charged $169 for the complete system flush, labor and fluids included. They said the old way was to drop the pan and change the filter but the new machines have the ability to completely "clean" the trans. system with out the pan drop and filter change.

So I guess the mechanic is on par with the dealership. And besides he is only charging 140 for complete service.

I will let you all know when I get my truck back.

Last edited:

thePUNISHER

Reaction score
according to ford there is no service interval for the filter on most of their transmissions. it would take a whole mess to obstruct one.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tranny service needs to be done, but I highly doubt it will fix your problem. Have you run the codes?

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tranny service needs to be done, but I highly doubt it will fix your problem. Have you run the codes?

No I haven't. I don't have the equipment to do this.

I'm not sure if the mechanic did, (I don't know if he said no codes were showing or no I haven't run the codes.) Working 13-14 hour days and only getting to talk to the mechanic while at work sucks. I will have some evenings off and the week end. I will be sure to ask more questions.

Thanks guys..

Last edited: