Slipping Transmission or Ignition Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugarHigh

Reaction score
It is an 06 5.4L 4x4 with 54K on it.

It shudders a bit/seems like transmission slipping at mid range rpms. Seems to not do it in first but in higher gears. If low rpm, then fine. If mash the gas then fine. Hills make it worse. It has been going on for about a month. Sometimes it is completely fine, and sometimes not.

The engine light comes on some of the time in conjunction. The engine light will blink some of the time. It does not stay on. I have noticed that the engine seems to run rough some of the time when the light is on. I am guessing the blinking light might mean it is mis-firing.

Trans fluid was not low and looks very clean. I have had the truck for 15K, so not sure if the trans has ever been serviced. I have note replaced anything in the engine compartment.

The combination of these symptoms make me think it is the ignition cutting out, which makes it seam like slipping. What do you guys think?

How could I go about diagnosing what is wrong? Confirm ignition, then figure out the cause.

Your help is most appreciated.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im thinking ignition problem because a blinking CEL is warning you that the engine is miss firing bad enough to do damage to the cats

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to steal a thread but It would seem we have several on slipping tranny's. This tread most closely matched my problem..

Not sure what problem is but..

I just took my 97 with 110K to the garage last night. On my way home the tranny seems to be slipping or something. When going up a hill in OD, it seems like it wanted to shift down but wouldn't. I clicked off the O/D using the button and it did the same thing in Drive when I would give it gas, acting like it wanted to down shift but would make a noise like it was shifting up then down up then down. Not sure but my first thought was my transmission was going out. :confused: This is the newest vehicle I ever owned so I'm not sure what if any shift modules (electronics) could be making this happen.

In my previous experiences with slipping transmissions it would do it constantly not just mid-range RPM's. When giving it alot of gas it wouldn't slip, well acting like it wants to down shift. In my case a little gas while going would cause the problem. If I gave it alot of gas it will shift and go, no slipping. I checked the fluid and it could take maybe 1/2 a quart nothing bad. So I just took it to the garage to see if the "mechanic" had any thoughts.

I wanted to get you guy's in put as it would seem experience with these vehicles is the key to most problems.

Thank you all in advance. I will post updates with what the mechanic says.

Oh and I found out my Brush guard is Illegal here in PA. Well the bars going across the Headlights are. Luckily they are removable.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
something cheap and easy to do is change the gas filter.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to steal a thread but It would seem we have several on slipping tranny's. This tread most closely matched my problem..

I just took my 97 with 110K to the garage last night. On my way home the tranny seems to be slipping or something. When going up a hill in OD, it seems like it wanted to shift down but wouldn't. I clicked off the O/D using the button and it did the same thing in Drive when I would give it gas, acting like it wanted to down shift but would make a noise like it was shifting up then down up then down. Not sure but my first thought was my transmission was going out. :confused: This is the newest vehicle I ever owned so I'm not sure what if any shift modules (electronics) could be making this happen.

In my previous experiences with slipping transmissions it would do it constantly not just mid-range RPM's. When giving it alot of gas it wouldn't slip, well acting like it wants to down shift. In my case a little gas while going would cause the problem. If I gave it alot of gas it will shift and go, no slipping. I checked the fluid and it could take maybe 1/2 a quart nothing bad. So I just took it to the garage to see if the "mechanic" had any thoughts.

I wanted to get you guy's in put as it would seem experience with these vehicles is the key to most problems.

Oh and I found out my Brush guard is Illegal here in PA. Well the bars going across the Headlights are. Luckily they are removable.

i have a similar problem but its my shift seloniods,atleast i beleive so,my truck will shift hard into second gear at low speeds or even if im on it sometimes in 3rd gear too,so u might wonna check that out,electronic issuse im gonna go with that,but it can also be be bad pressure lines as well,as far a tranny fluid goes,to much pressure will cause the tranny to act up so will too little.
o and pa always seem to have a gay law statin that something is illegal like i got a tickect for having an air freshiner hangin from my rear view mirror lol

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, i have a new fuel filter setting at my house. But I didn't think that would cause my Tranny to act weird. I only notice it when I am at crusing speed and just give it a little gas. If i smash the throttle it will shift into passing gear and go fine.

I haven't heard back from my mechanic, and I have been at work since 7:30 am and won't get off until 10 pm. So I keep checking my phone.

Oh and PA laws suck! A speeding ticket or so ago, on my ticket the officer wrote obstruction hanging from rear view mirror...

ON the bright side they passed a law allowing us motorcycle riders to drive with accessory/engine lights on at night. Only condition is that no red or blue lights facing forward... Dang ha ha.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, i have a new fuel filter setting at my house. But I didn't think that would cause my Tranny to act weird. I only notice it when I am at crusing speed and just give it a little gas. If i smash the throttle it will shift into passing gear and go fine.

I haven't heard back from my mechanic, and I have been at work since 7:30 am and won't get off until 10 pm. So I keep checking my phone.

Oh and PA laws suck! A speeding ticket or so ago, on my ticket the officer wrote obstruction hanging from rear view mirror...

ON the bright side they passed a law allowing us motorcycle riders to drive with accessory/engine lights on at night. Only condition is that no red or blue lights facing forward... Dang ha ha.

lol i wish u the best luck with your truck bro

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I just heard from my mechanic, He is recommending that the transmission needs serviced. Probably never done and it has 110k on it. He says the noise he is hearing is slight shutter in the transmission from not getting enough fluid to shift correctly. He is going to flush the transmission & etc with his machine that completely transfers all old tranny fluid w/additive (additive is added to trany then heated buy running several miles) and replaces it with new fluid.

Also told me the slight noise I was hearing in the front of the vehicle is the Hub bearings starting to go bad. :( Apparently they are about $200 each. I told him I have seen them on eBay for under $100. His experience has been that most of the cheaper eBay parts don't last but several months and they only warranty them for 90 days and the pain you have to go through to claim the defective part under their warranty (shipping, re-stocking, etc.). Anyone have experience with buying hubs w/bearings? Good or bad vendors?

Last edited:

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To the OP, yours sounds like a low grade misfire. I would look at the plugs and coil packs.

To the guy with the 97, I would think that this one is more related to an electrical issue too from what you described. The MLPS (neutral safety switch) comes to mind first and the TPS (throttle position sensor) comes up second. I don't see how fluid issues would be causing what you described. But, stranger things have happened and, of course, I might be misreading what you are trying to describe.

Darrin

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sugarhigh

Had the same thing happening on my 02 5.4. Took months and i was convinced the trans was shuttering. Finally a cel come on. I almost ran over several vehicles to get to an auto parts store to get read the code. Coil on number 1 was gone. Replaced it a year ago and never had the problem
come back. Hope you can isolate the problem. Try having someone read the codes if you can.