Special Service Message 51789 - 2022-2023 Expedition/Navigator - Power Liftgate Not Fully Opening When The Vehicle Is Locked - Built on/before 5-13-23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51789 - 2022-2023 Expedition/Navigator - Power Liftgate Not Fully Opening When The Vehicle Is Locked - Built on or before 13-May-2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 13-May-2023 may exhibit the power liftgate not fully opening when the vehicle is locked. This may be due to rear gate trunk module (RGTM) software. To correct this condition, reprogram the RGTM using the latest version of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool. For claiming, use casual part 14b291 and the applicable labor operations of Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can confirm this fix seems to work. Just had it performed today and the liftgate opened fully.

Stsysar

Reaction score
Same here. I can tell the difference in operation - now there is no more hesitation when the lift gate opens.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I have this issue.

If I open the lift gate via the remote control all is well. If I open it by using the button on the handle it often just unlatches or opens very slightly.

Does this mean I have the problem?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I have this issue.

If I open the lift gate via the remote control all is well. If I open it by using the button on the handle it often just unlatches or opens very slightly.

Does this mean I have the problem?
Yes. The reprogramming of the SSM should fix it.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, that's exactly what I did. Needed a service so they added that to the service. Didn't seem like it took too long either.

Stsysar

Reaction score
I agree, that's exactly what I did. Needed a service so they added that to the service. Didn't seem like it took too long either.
Yeah, I had mine done at the time of the oil change service. The only thing, I had to wait longer for the oil change appointment to get the extra time required for the reprogramming.

cruiseguy24

Reaction score
SSM 51789 - 2022-2023 Expedition/Navigator - Power Liftgate Not Fully Opening When The Vehicle Is Locked - Built on or before 13-May-2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 13-May-2023 may exhibit the power liftgate not fully opening when the vehicle is locked. This may be due to rear gate trunk module (RGTM) software. To correct this condition, reprogram the RGTM using the latest version of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool. For claiming, use casual part 14b291 and the applicable labor operations of Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
Where did you find this? I don’t see it published at NHTSA. They only show the earlier one, 51713, that says they don’t recommend the reprogram.

I don’t doubt it, just wondering what source is more up to date for future reference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett