Special Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvengineer

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2004 Expedition with 182000 miles. It is labeled "Special Service" in the add. I am having trouble determining what that exactly entails in a Special service expy. Is this a package that is desired or not desired or makes no difference?
Can anyone kindly enlighten me?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The ad may be inaccurate, as for some reason many regular XLT's are recorded as SSV packages which are not. If the truck has a true SSV package, it would be an XLT with police trim, which generally include rubber carpeting, a column shifter, no console, vinyl rear seating, black exterior door handles and grille. It may also have had a higher geared rear axle. The higher gearing will give you a bit more pep and a bit less gas mileage. That's about all that's in the SSV package, though agencies may have order extra options.

And it probably would have been used in fleet police, fire or government service for the first 100K miles of its life. Inspect it for remnants of emergency lighting and extra wiring fuses.

I have a 2007 SSV that was ordered with a sunroof and leather for the NYC Police Commissioner, so anything was available if the customer paid enough.

These fleet trucks usually receive routine oil changes which is a good thing, but often are idled far longer than their mileage indicate. Some are tired and some are not. Generally, a Carfax report will show them as police or government vehicles and they are valued a little cheaper because of that.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a bare bones interior trim for Forest Ranger, K9 Units, Fire Marshalls etc.

If they follow the same pattern as 3rd gens, it might have 4x4 and upgraded skid plates

SSVs are cheap, if it doesn't have oodles of upgrades don't pay more than like $2k tops for it, probably less. I got my '09 SSV for $4600 back in like 2016.

OP
OP
T

tvengineer

Reaction score
It's on the lot for $6700. I don't know about the skid plates. It is 4X4 and does not look too bad. Interior is clean but there is a hole in the rear plastic bumper.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What? That's wildly expensive. I've seen plenty of cheaper 3rd gen Lincoln Navigators.

Yes, even post-COVID and similar or lower miles.

Peter Brown

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2004 Expedition with 182000 miles. It is labeled "Special Service" in the add. I am having trouble determining what that exactly entails in a Special service expy. Is this a package that is desired or not desired or makes no difference?
Can anyone kindly enlighten me?
It'll indicate Special Service on the title. Mine does.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you look up the VIN, it'll come back as an SSV. the so-called police package for the Expedition is mostly increased electrical capacity, wiring and cooling. BUT, finding a more capable alternator has been a chore. go figure. the brakes are bigger and the suspension has a higher payload, though towing didn't increase as far as I know, but it does sit higher. I was able to put 33.8" tires on it without any suspension mods, lifts, etc. and it still clears fine.
I've never been able to determine any engine mods, but mine sure runs like a ***** ape. and drinks gas to show it, too.

EDIT: mine didn't come with skid plates, and i have never been able to find any.

3rd EDIT: sorry about this - i have cognitive issues, so I type like that.
anyway, I paid 5200 for mine with only 96,000 miles on it two years ago in central texas. it was owned by a local FD since new. they took great care of it, especially the interior, so it looked showroom new.
unfortunately, the reseller was less than careful de-mil ing it, so the wiring was hosed and so were a host of vacuum controls. I think it cost me about 500 dollars to get all the windows and the AC working again. The whole experience has been an adventure, and I love it.

Last edited: