Speedo Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBH

Reaction score
Any suggestions for my speedometer? It indicates 100 mph for the first 20 minutes, backs off to 85, then works right after about 1/2 hour!

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) What is the year and model of your Expedition? Without this, I (we) have no idea what system you have!!!

2) Has this only happened recently, i.e. during the cold weather.

Also, it might help if you start out to work a few minutes earlier in the morning.....:D

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
2001 Exp. Yes it seems cold weather related. I assume the speedo is a stepper motor, maybe a bit sticky? Seems odd that when I'm travelling 30 MPH the speedo indicate 80 MPH, them later just drops right back to the right point.

I would have expected low readings, not higher.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a digital or analog speedo?

Anyway, I have attached a small file that is the .jpg from a Repair Manual CD I have. It is for my '98, but I think it applies to your model year.

It shows how to check the VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor). Althoughy I do not think it is your problem, it would be wise to test it. The following is the description for the VSS - Speedo operation:

"The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (Figure 45) is a variable reluctance or Hall-effect sensor that generates a waveform with a frequency that is proportional to the speed of the vehicle. If the vehicle is moving at a relatively low velocity, the sensor produces a signal with a low frequency. As the vehicle velocity increases, the sensor generates a signal with a higher frequency. The PCM uses the frequency signal generated by the VSS (and other inputs) to control such parameters as fuel injection, ignition control, transmission/transaxle shift scheduling and torque converter clutch scheduling."

You can see that if the VSS is not working right, other things would be wrong as well.

Let me know what you find, but I do not think me CD will have your model year speedo on it.

You can get the Repair CD's off of Ebay.

Good Luck!!! :)

Attachments

• vss.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
Analog. I assume stepper motor driven . I actually have a Ford repair CD, thanks for reminding me about it. I will investigate abd report back...

Judging by the VSS description if it was not working I would have more than speedo problems, but I will check it out.

There does appear to be a friction issue, the speedo all of a sidden moves about 180 degress and then works fine. I suspect I'll be disassembling my dash over the holidays.

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
You sure about the VSS? From my manual it appears that only the diesel has the VSS. Anyone know for sure?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The VSS is listed in both my Ford Repair CD and the Haynes manual. Besides, the Exby did not come in a Diesel format (at least to my knowledge).