2017 Expedition issues with no check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawsonchrisss

Reaction score
My Expedition started to do what seems to be losing power for a split second and back. Its drives so quiet I cant tell if the engine is shutting off but the speedometer drops.
At first it was very smooth and almost had me imagining something was happening.
Then a few weeks ago when I would take off and get to about 40 mph and it was almost like I came to a stop then took right back off. No lights came on. Just the speedometer dropped and it did slow down as if there was no power that time. That happened quite a bit for a few days. I started taking off slower and it didnt happen for several days.
Today I was on the interstate doing 75 and the speedometer dropped then went back up a few times. I had been driving it for about 90 minutes before this happened. Never slowed down at all.
It went away. I went back out a few hours later and it did it at about 50 mph and the wrench light and airbag light came on this time, speedometer dropped and on the screen where the miles to empty are were dashes instead of numbers. It also said see manual. It didnt stop running at all unless I was coasting and couldnt tell. There has been no noise when this happens. I pulled over and turned it off and back on and drove it another hour with no issues at all.
Completely puzzled.
Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for a pending code with ELM327 adapter. Plugs and throttle body are common failures for that mileage.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had same symptoms on a f150 with same engine, throttle body was the issue. Pretty common for some reason.

OP
OP
L

lawsonchrisss

Reaction score
We scanned it today. The code was P0722 and it said it was the output speed sensor.
We have searched all day and couldn't find a part number. Even called 2 Ford dealerships. They cant find one either.
They are supposed to talk to a transmission guy tomorrow and see if he can figure out why its not on the transmission parts list. They said it may be part of another component but they had never ran in to this.
Just my luck!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 6R80 tranny correct ? It's all internal electronics. They have a terrible problem with the stock sensor pack on the valve body of the tranny. It's a known issue and any transmission shop should be able to get you fixed up pretty easy. It involves dropping the trans valve body. If you're comfortable with that kind of work you can do it yourself.

Mak's Video Fixing the 6R80 Sensor Pack

6R80 Sensor Connector Pack (Dorman) on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lawsonchrisss

Reaction score
It is the 6R80. Im comfortable doing it myself but Ive called 3 more Ford dealerships and even talked to the transmission guy at one and no one knows or can find a part number or something else it may be called.
Everyone is stumped.
I would like to have a replacement before I pull it out.