Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doonze

Reaction score
This is just for anyone else who searches for speedo issues. Mine would work about 15% of the time. It would never work for more than a day, and would often go in and out while driving. Like it would start working, read 60, then drop down to 40, then jump back up to 60, then fall to 50, then back to 60, etc. Then just die again.

I got FORScan as I was thinking the sensor was the problem, I had suspected a bad sensor or loose connection. I found all 6 of my sensors were working fine. (3 ABS sensors, VSS, and the two axel sensors for the A4WD) so then I suspected the speedo itself. So I picked up one from a junkyard. Speedo still wouldn't work in the junkyard cluster. So was pretty sure it was a bad wire/connection, but I also suspected the GEM even though I couldn't find a SINGLE mention of a GEM related speedo issue. But much like my speedo, my 4x4 was also flakey, working about as often as the speedo (though the two didn't seem to be related directly, they didn't both go out or work at the same times).

Anyway, I got a new GEM to see if that was why my 4x4 was so sporadic. It wasn't, but it did 100% fix my speedo! So at least there is that.

I still don't have any way to be totally sure it's wasn't a bad connection that got sorted when replacing the GEM, I haven't been able to verify the GEM runs the speedo, but I do know it has inputs from the VSS. It would make sense to me if the GEM DID run the speedo, but in all the waterlogged possessed GEM threads I hadn't seen speedo issue mentioned.

So now there is one!

tags for searches: Expedition F150 GEM speedo speedometer failure speedo not working