Squeaking muffler bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2016 muffler squeaks with the slightest movement of the Expy I see eBay has a 2-3 pack of rubber brackets for $12 or so. Just pushing on the Expy causes the muffler to squeak.
Anybody replaced the bracket? Straight forward or a pain?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2016 muffler squeaks with the slightest movement of the Expy I see eBay has a 2-3 pack of rubber brackets for $12 or so. Just pushing on the Expy causes the muffler to squeak.
Anybody replaced the bracket? Straight forward or a pain?
Which bracket? And just to be clear, you’re talking about the muffler under the truck not the one under the rear bumper correct?

And are you sure it’s not the suspension squeaking? I’m trying to figure out how pushing on the truck makes an exhaust bracket squeak..

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it's not 95 degrees outside I'll take a picture. Before the recent rafting trip I squirted silicon lube up around the bracket and that helped for the trip out to Kern. Muffler or tailpipe hanger may be a better description. When the muffler isn't hot then I can push on it and it squeaks.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it's not 95 degrees outside I'll take a picture. Before the recent rafting trip I squirted silicon lube up around the bracket and that helped for the trip out to Kern. Muffler or tailpipe hanger may be a better description. When the muffler isn't hot then I can push on it and it squeaks.
Well there are two mufflers.... which one we talking about here

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was referring to the right rear muffler and it turns out it isn’t the hanger. It is the muffler heat shield rubbing against the spare tire cage. Looks like I just need to bend the heat shield a bit and the squeaking will go away. I held the tire cage out of the way and no more noise.

Poor diagnostic skills on my part - sorry.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was referring to the right rear muffler and it turns out it isn’t the hanger. It is the muffler heat shield rubbing against the spare tire cage. Looks like I just need to bend the heat shield a bit and the squeaking will go away. I held the tire cage out of the way and no more noise.

Poor diagnostic skills on my part - sorry.
I have this issue too. I put a "soft object" between the two. Works fine.